Building DIY sump

Colin Gilboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am building a sump because I can’t afford a good one on my 220 im building. Any recommendations on size and how I should set one up?

Brett newell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say at least a 75 gallon. You could buy the glass for baffles or buy a couple old 40 breeders and cut them apart.
First baffles are behind the middle brace. Water goes under, over, under. Then the last baffle the water goes under.
Ignore the folgers cans under skimmer. I have since replaced that with egg crate and PVC

20181028_140025.jpg

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55-75 gallon would be a good size imo. Get baffle peices cut at local glass shop, or use acrylic.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as big as you can get in and out of the stand easily. have a glass shop cut you baffles, which you want cut just smaller than the actual sump width. you’ll need a silicone bead of about 1/8” in between the baffles and sump itself, including the bottom. use momentive rtv 100 series silicone. easy. :)

hetrickfarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three pieces of advice from my mistakes. 1. Put the sump in place before you start to cycle the display tank. . Plan and buy all of the equipment that you are going to put in the sump first. Put all of the items in place and then revise your plans. . I went acrylic with the baffles because of cost. I found the acrylic difficult to bond with the epoxy. If you decide on still using acrylic, go with something thicker. Mine bows with the water being held in the different chambers.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 40 48.2%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 43 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 18 21.7%
  • None.

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.6%

Back