Building your own glass tank?

jheidenthal

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 29, 2020
Messages
37
Reaction score
19
Location
Sarasota, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever built their own tank using scrap glass? It sparked my interest when I realized I have multiple spare 10 gallon tanks and thought about separating the panels and using 4 front panels (Approx 20 inches long) and building a 20 gallon cube. I have resealed tanks before and watched Joey's video of building a glass aquarium and was looking for real people's advice and opinions on how difficult it is? I realize I have to get a bottom panel cut as well which I don't mind. I was planning on DIYing the AIO type system on the back pane as well.
 
@Ron Reefman has built several glass tanks. Maybe he will chime in with input or suggestions.
 
while I have not actually built them, resealing tanks and baffling sumps has been fun.

On a small tank I would totally go for it! Maybe park it in the garage for a bit to leak test and ensure it holds together. Of course, even if you leave it setup for 3 months and it holds fine, it could still leak at any time.

One thing to be aware of is glass thickness and weather you have frame or frameless.

If the tanks you have are framed, I think you will need to frame the finished result, frame-less tanks are made from thicker glass usually.
 
while I have not actually built them, resealing tanks and baffling sumps has been fun.

On a small tank I would totally go for it! Maybe park it in the garage for a bit to leak test and ensure it holds together. Of course, even if you leave it setup for 3 months and it holds fine, it could still leak at any time.

One thing to be aware of is glass thickness and weather you have frame or frameless.

If the tanks you have are framed, I think you will need to frame the finished result, frame-less tanks are made from thicker glass usually.
My plan was to eurobrace the tank once finished.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 6 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new