Built new glass sump over the weekend

Leland Foley

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 4, 2015
Messages
47
Reaction score
46
Location
Evansville, Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
542FEB1D-8BC6-4EBB-B571-CE4C8471F9BD.jpeg
D49CF632-1999-4CA8-BB16-95A45EC50CC9.jpeg
76536909-66FC-4959-98D3-812A480E6432.jpeg
542FEB1D-8BC6-4EBB-B571-CE4C8471F9BD.jpeg
Hey guys, I don't post much here, but frequently read the threads. I built a new glass sump for my reef tank this weekend out of pieces of 3/8" glass I had cut here locally. Just glued it together this morning, so it still has rough seams that I'll trim up once the silicone dries, and I'll also drill 4 more holes in it after I water test it.

-Leland

image.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, that looks awesome! What does something like that cost you to make if you don't mind me asking?
 
Great result! You mentioned it but definitely sand down the edges of the glass, don't want to slice yourself when doing maintenance or anything like that!

Excited to see your build thread, again what an awesome sump!
 
All of the glass was sanded and bevelled at the local shop, the same as if you had it cut by an aquarium manufacturer. The only sharp edges are around the holes I've drilled in the glass, which I've sanded smooth. I was referring to cleaning up the excess silicone that squeezes out of the joints on the outside of the tank. I'll post new pictures after its drilled and cleaned up.

Thanks!
Leland
 
Looks awesome! Nothing more satisfying then completing a project and having it look so sharp.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 8.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new