Built Recirculating CO2 Scrubber

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at the CO2 scrubber idea and perhaps a T off the skimmer pump air line to allow outside air into the skimmer as possible, based on the pH desired/achieved. What is your preferred method of increasing the pH in the tank?

There are lots of good methods. Fresher air int he room, outside air to a skimmer, a scrubber, and growing macroalgae are all good.

I never had to use any additional methods as limewater/kalkwasser and an older home always kept my pH above 8.2, and before I got new storm windows, it was 8.3 to 8.55..

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of good methods. Fresher air int he room, outside air to a skimmer, a scrubber, and growing macroalgae are all good.

I never had to use any additional methods as limewater/kalkwasser and an older home always kept my pH above 8.2, and before I got new storm windows, it was 8.3 to 8.55..
I live in Florida so the house is mostly closed up and the air conditioning running 24/7/365. I have looked into outside air to the skimmer but was warned the 95 degree air would raise my tank temp. I will looking into a scrubber and macroalgae. TY

Paston1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve had issues keeping my pH over 7.8. CO2 in my house runs from ~500 with windows open to as high as 2000 when all 8 of us are home watching movies in the living room. Since it’s way to hot and humid to leave the windows open here on SC, I decided to add on a recirculating CO2 scrubber.

I found a plastic paint bucket at Lowe’s that matched my skimmer lid perfectly. Glued the bucket lid to skimmer lid and drilled out the air holes. Then attached the barb to the bottom of the paint bucket and attached an airline from the bucket to the on of my new BRS CO2 scrubber.

praying this does a significant increase to my pH.

68B94849-05E6-4BCD-9246-F09796B629FB.jpeg C6A776FF-E074-4FE4-B601-2A33FB93EC32.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Double check the co2 scrubber arrows on the tubing barbs.
I had to swap the tubes due to user error on my side lol. Air comes in one way, travels, and exits another. On mine that side side is connected to skimmer directly and on the right side the skimmer cup.

it increased my ph having the flow the right way. Order mine off brs and was not smart enough to read the arrows lol on the media container.

TKCorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently did a similar set up on my skimmer. I am wondering if by making those extra holes on the lid of your bucket it might be preventing all the pre co2 scrubbed air to go back into your CO2 scrubber. Also I noticed by having the intake coming from the skimmer directly into the scrubber it allows for the air to be a little more moist which I have noticed from my experience it allows the CO2 media to work better.

Back