Bulb Lifespan

  • Thread starter Thread starter ficklefins
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
3,271
Reaction score
52
Location
MD - Annapolis Area
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 250w DE 14k MH setup and I was wondering when I should change out my bulb. I've heard all kinds of numbers thrown around and I was wondering what you guys/gals think?

Right now I am at about 6 or 7 months with this bulb.
 
i would say you're good for at least a year. ime when algae starts to grow its a sign the spectrum has shifted
 
Some say the blue spectrum is the bit that goes first within a bulb, so the higher the kelvin the quicker the bulb should be changed?

Of course it also depends on how long your lights are on for per day? I have mine on 10hours & change the 21k bulbs every 9 months.....

Cheers Shelton.
 
Shultz said:
Some say the blue spectrum is the bit that goes first within a bulb, so the higher the kelvin the quicker the bulb should be changed?

Of course it also depends on how long your lights are on for per day? I have mine on 10hours & change the 21k bulbs every 9 months.....

Cheers Shelton.

that is very true. i know people that use that iwasaki 6500k bulb and have used it for up to 2 years without replacing. crazy....

bulb life also depends on the ballast. electronic ballasts will let the bulb life run longer, but the bulb will be alot dimmer than running that bulb on a magnetic ballast (i'm talking about SE here). but running it on magnetic ballasts will also decrease the life. same with HQI (again SE), they REALLY over drive the bulbs.

i have no clue about DE bulb life span though.
 
You know, this is a good question. What I really wish I had was a way to meter the buld, so I knew exactly when it was needing the change out. I'd make it and sell it for home aquatic use it I was the wiring smarts...

:D
Laurie
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 10 26.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new