Bulb Shield for a 4' 8-Lamp Tek-Light?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Harry_Y
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 30, 2009
Messages
1,084
Reaction score
205
Location
Liverpool, NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered a 8-Lamp Tek-Light from today from Marine Depot.
They did not includethe Bulb Shield nor do they sell it.

I would assume it is just a piece of Lexan, but I could be wrong.

If so I can just have a piece cut at my local hardware store.

If not I'll have to order it from somewhere else.

Does anyone here have this light and the shield who
could tell if it is just Lexan etc, and what the size is?

Thank you
 
i also have the same tek light but a 6-bulb and i was wondering the same thing about the shield...So if you can just lmk that would be great...thks
 
I have Dimmable Ballast so the first think I'll be doing is changing out the ballast

It was cheaper and easier to buy a whole light than to build one from scratch
 
Just go to Lowe's or homedepot and buy an acrylic sheet. Have them cut it to specs, and you're good to go. :) That's what I did and saved a few bucks. (This is what SLS is going to do anyways).
 
Its better to use lexan than acrylic (as Harry suggested). IME on the 8 bulb lamp acrylic will sag.
 
Just go to Lowe's or homedepot and buy an acrylic sheet. Have them cut it to specs, and you're good to go. :) That's what I did and saved a few bucks. (This is what SLS is going to do anyways).


Do you just slide it in to the grooves?
 
time to fan mod the sucker


Yes I have a list of things to do to it.

Add Bulb Shield
Add Fans
Replace Ballast with Dimmable Ballast

Even with that it is still cheaper and
easier than building one from scratch
 
I think that they designed the fixture to operate with out a bulb sheild hence no fans on the fixture! but if you want one go with Lexan it is designed to withstand more heat. this
 
Well I got the light in today, and ran down to
the hardware store and had a bulb shield cut.

I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to swap the ballast
out for the dimmable ones I'll give it a few days.

(I'm not feeling ambitious enough today to get into it).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new