Bulkhead Q

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Setting up frag tank.1in overflow bulkhead installed with a gate valve to adjust flow.is it necessary to install pvc pipe in the overflow box ?,if so I would need a thread slip connector as the inside of the bulkhead is threaded

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setting up frag tank.1in overflow bulkhead installed with a gate valve to adjust flow.is it necessary to install pvc pipe in the overflow box ?,if so I would need a thread slip connector as the inside of the bulkhead is threaded
are you looking at a single pipe overflow, two pipe, or bean animal?
is the bulkhead through the back or in the bottom of the tank?

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Single pipe in the bottom
the reason you would put a standpipe in there would to bring the level up to just under the weir so you don't have waterfall noise. you can easily adapt to the bulkhead threads with a thread to slip adapter then just dry fit the pvc pipe into that. this also keeps to a minimum the return volume going to the sump when the pump is off. if you prefer, you could just throttle the drain so that the height in the overflow stays high and leave enough room in the sump to accept the volume in the box if you lose power or turn off your return pump for some reason like feeding.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it sounds like you are planning on running the single pipe overflow as a full siphon. I would caution against this that if something happens to reduce the flow in that siphon tube you will quickly overflow the tank. It would be better to set it up as a durso style overflow if you are only running a single pipe.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back