Bulkhead question

  • Thread starter Thread starter rayn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Joined
Mar 25, 2014
Messages
3,355
Reaction score
2,383
Location
Illinois
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on plumbing my overflow. Drilled the tank a long time ago and have set it numerous times. This time I went with 1" threaded bulkheads. I used TFE paste to seal the threads. I noticed the joint goes all the way in without getting very tight until the end where the pvc meets the bulkhead. Is this still going to seal?
 
yeah they will seat all the way in with pipe paste.
What brand did you use?
 
If they are quality bulkheads, you take the time to properly prepare the threads and you don't over tighten they should. Have you read the bulkhead tips sticky thread for more info? In it I mention LaCo PVC thread lubricant sticks which are far superior to Teflon pastes and recommended by all the PVC manufacturers.
 
I haven't AZdesertrat, but will. Heck I usually just go for the tape, but figured/hoped this would be better
 
the stick might be the best as AZ noted...
I have also had good luck with RectorSeal Pipe Thread Sealant.
 
A little better but not recommended by Spears or any of the other PVC manufacturers. They have sections on their websites where they specifically say no Teflon tape or pastes.
 
Finally back to plumbing this tank. Working on fitting the pieces of pvc together and notice that the pvc to bulkhead joint still turns.

Now you guys say it seals, but it turning is really making me nervous. I don't want to glue all the other joints together and have a leak at the bulkhead
 
That's one reason why I refuse to use slip bulkheads.
If it is inside the tank or overflow/standpipe its not a big deal since any leakage would end up in the overflow line anyway.

If it is a threaded joint it should be just a little more than hand tight. There is almost no pressure in reef plumbing so it doesn't have to be packed down.
 
These are threaded joints, but they are on the outside of the tank. I did just like you said after seeing them loose, hand tight and then just a bit with a wrench. Seemed to make it better.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new