Bumblebee Snails vs Vermitted

Dr. Peter Venkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have heard this argument before, that bumblebee Snails can help eliminate Vermitted snails from your DT. Has anyone ever experienced this? Is it true. I for one have actually never had bumblebee Snails in my DT, so feedback would be great

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have 9 in a reefer170, there are less vertimid than before, I see the bumblebees around the area where a vertimid is. I think they’re doing their job. Also we cleaned out the plumbing and overflow, found a lot of them in there.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used them in an attempt to prevent them. If your tank is INFESTED you'll need a lot and they need to be able to reach them. If the snails are tucked away in nooks and crannies you may not get them out, their shells make it difficult to get into super tight spots.
Had a massive infestation and dropped a ton in the tank, they didn't make a dent. Move corals from the infested to a clean tank, added bumblebees and I like to think they helped keep them out of the new tank.
They are also an interesting looking CUC

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumblebees have done nothing except eat my Trocus and Astraea snails. I've got a very tiny species of vermetid, so maybe that's the problem.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble bee snails for me is the only way I would go, have to get a good amount and it takes some time,will not happen over night

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumblebees didn't do anything for mine. What did was pencil urchins. They won't be able to get in rock crevices though. They also apparently aren't reef safe. They've never bothered any of my corals, but they may be a problem for other inverts.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw a video recently posted here of vermetid snail getting eaten by BB snail

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have them like I do snails wont help. I have an infestation in my 180g. They are everywhere and most are in places a snail could never reach. Maybe at the beginning when you first see them (and I would just manually remove them then) but not after they have taken hold. They love coral skeletons and tight places especially like it under monti caps where they can screw up the growth pattern. Nothing like a large monti cap 8 inches around with snails poking up through it. :angry-face:

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are Bumble Bee snails nocturnal and if so might low/no light duration increase Bumble Bee snail feeding activity?
I host a few Bumble Bee snails seldom are any observable throughout sunlight or moonlight conditions. Generally, throughout sunlight/moonlight conditions my Bumble Bee snails remain hidden from light under rocks or in rocky crevices.

Last edited:

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just saw a video recently posted here of vermetid snail getting eaten by BB snail
I think this is the post you are referring to

OP
OP
Dr. Peter Venkman

Dr. Peter Venkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great stuff. I should have stated this when I first posted, but a few years back i had a bunch of Vermitted sales in my old DT. I went to the LFS and picked up some red leg hermit crabs and they actually took care of the Vermitted snails.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back