Burning through DI resin

mandzhalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My DI resin last me no time, burning through it like there is no tommorow.
I have my own water well and water comming out is normal hardness, TDS of 15.
To make RODI water I am using 5 stage, 100GPD pumped system. All filters are only couple of months old, I got about 300 gallons of RODI water.

My issue is that even though I have 2 in series DI canisters, they last only 20 gallons before they are fully exausted an my TDS reads 5.

Water out of Membrane is TDS of 5. I am using good, major aquatics brand DI resin.

Why my DI depletes so rapidly? Is it high CO2? If so, best course of action?

Last edited:

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What brand? That's silly! I run airwaterice 5-stage Typhoon 3 and I'll probably get 1000g out of my di resin. I run it until it hits 2ppm. I hit 1ppm after about 500g. His resin isn't terribly expensive. Turn that booster pump off and see what happens. What's the pressure without the booster? Why do you feel that you need it? I get 30psi in the rodi and 75psi at the inlet. I could support 1000g system with it if I had the opportunity.

OP
OP
M

mandzhalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand? That's silly! I run airwaterice 5-stage Typhoon 3 and I'll probably get 1000g out of my di resin. I run it until it hits 2ppm. I hit 1ppm after about 500g. His resin isn't terribly expensive. Turn that booster pump off and see what happens. What's the pressure without the booster? Why do you feel that you need it? I get 30psi in the rodi and 75psi at the inlet. I could support 1000g system with it if I had the opportuniits

What brand? That's silly! I run airwaterice 5-stage Typhoon 3 and I'll probably get 1000g out of my di resin. I run it until it hits 2ppm. I hit 1ppm after about 500g. His resin isn't terribly expensive. Turn that booster pump off and see what happens. What's the pressure without the booster? Why do you feel that you need it? I get 30psi in the rodi and 75psi at the inlet. I could support 1000g system with it if I had the opportunity.
It's Triton Reagents brand. I do need pump, as without it pressure is too low, my output would be 10 gallons per day max

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well or city water? my well h2o exhausts DI media quick due to co2...

Clarkjw2002

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably CO2. If your raw water pH is low then there's a good chance your CO2 is high. Was going to test CO2 when we got the water system here but the water guy said there was no need because pH was near 7 already coming straight out of the well.

Your remedy is to run the water through RO only and into a container with an airstone. Let that bubble overnight to off-gas the CO2 in the water, then pump through your DI resins.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a degassing chamber to my setup to remove the CO2 that was burning up my resin also switched to anion-cation-mixed bed setup repack anion about every 500 gallons now.

OP
OP
M

mandzhalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably CO2. If your raw water pH is low then there's a good chance your CO2 is high. Was going to test CO2 when we got the water system here but the water guy said there was no need because pH was near 7 already coming straight out of the well.

Your remedy is to run the water through RO only and into a container with an airstone. Let that bubble overnight to off-gas the CO2 in the water, then pump through your DI resins.
Just measured raw water PH, it's 6.0

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my water into a brute and let it bubble for awhile and that took care of my DI depletion. There are other ways to do it, but I didn't want to mess around with those.

OP
OP
M

mandzhalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my water into a brute and let it bubble for awhile and that took care of my DI depletion. There are other ways to do it, but I didn't want to mess around with those.
How do you get water to unit? Use booster pump?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back