Burrfish and Seastars?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tyler502
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tyler502

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 26, 2023
Messages
58
Reaction score
7
Location
Louisville
What state or country do you live in
Kentucky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience keeping sea stars with burrfish or any species of puffer for that matter? I'd love to have a big sea star in my predator tank, with no coral, so I wouldn't be worried about a reef safe species and would spot feed if necessary. Just didn't know how prone a 4-5 inch striped burrfish would be to munching on one. Would love to read everyone's experiences and advice, thanks!
 
Does anyone have any experience keeping sea stars with burrfish or any species of puffer for that matter? I'd love to have a big sea star in my predator tank, with no coral, so I wouldn't be worried about a reef safe species and would spot feed if necessary. Just didn't know how prone a 4-5 inch striped burrfish would be to munching on one. Would love to read everyone's experiences and advice, thanks!
It may be important to know that my striped burrfish does not go after my snails/conches, just my small hermit crabs.
 
I'm under the impression puffers will gnaw at anything that can't swim from them.

I don't see the rules being much different from a snail/hermit so if you have luck with them go for it, but I'm pretty sure in my minute of research all I've ever read about puffers is they'll destroy inverts for food and gnaw at shells like birds on a cuttlebone, and supplementing them with snails is for that very reason.

Hopefully someone else chimes in cause I don't have much experience with puffers, just what I know would be the last thing I would possibly put in anything invert related I do.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 56 34.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new