But new tank from someone with out water test?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I am in a dilemma buying a new tank without a water test

I got a great deal from someone selling a 170 gallon SCA tank for $1200 including stand.
It’s brand new. However he doesn’t want to hook up plumbing to test for water leaks. He reassures me it hasn’t even seen water and is new but like any other tanks they may be damaged during shipping. I’m not sure how to move forward.

Reefers! Any advice

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in a dilemma buying a new tank without a water test

I got a great deal from someone selling a 170 gallon SCA tank for $1200 including stand.
It’s brand new. However he doesn’t want to hook up plumbing to test for water leaks. He reassures me it hasn’t even seen water and is new but like any other tanks they may be damaged during shipping. I’m not sure how to move forward.

Reefers! Any advice
He may not be lying and the tank is fine, but it does sound sketchy. If it was me I would rather miss out on a good deal than have 170 gallons of water on my floor.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've purchased tanks without a water test. I just inspect all the seams to make sure they are good.
So have I...with mixed results. I bought an IM40 last December, and it looked great (and had recently been filled)...but I had a ten hour drive in the middle of winter to get the thing, and didn't want to stick around for a fill test.

When I got home, and filled it up, and put in some oolite, I noted incursions all along the front seam. You couldn't see them at all when dry. It's holding, but it's gonna go at some point. I'm going to have to replace it next year.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I've purchased tanks without a water test. I just inspect all the seams to make sure they are good.
He has pictures of the sump and everything out of box not setup.

Would there be cracks not visible to the eye?

The seem
So have I...with mixed results. I bought an IM40 last December, and it looked great (and had recently been filled)...but I had a ten hour drive in the middle of winter to get the thing, and didn't want to stick around for a fill test.

When I got home, and filled it up, and put in some oolite, I noted incursions all along the front seam. You couldn't see them at all when dry. It's holding, but it's gonna go at some point. I'm going to have to replace it next year.
so your saying take. Look at the seams really good?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the issue with putting some water the tank? You don't have to hook up the plumbing, just don't fill the overflow box. Tell him you will reimburse him for the water...

Buying an aquarium without a water test is a naughty, no, no!

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
What's the issue with putting some water the tank? You don't have to hook up the plumbing, just don't fill the overflow box. Tell him you will reimburse him for the water...

Buying an aquarium without a water test is a naughty, no, no!
He said it’s in the living room on the stand. He’d have to hook up the bulkheads to hold the water and not damage anything in the process.

that advice makes me really want to skip out

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has pictures of the sump and everything out of box not setup.

Would there be cracks not visible to the eye?

The seem

so your saying take. Look at the seams really good?
Well, no. Only buy the tank if you're willing to accept a little surprise or two when you get the thing home.If it's a $200 steal, then fine. But you're going to be spending a fair chunk of change for this, so I'd definitely do a water test before buying it.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said it’s in the living room on the stand. He’d have to hook up the bulkheads to hold the water and not damage anything in the process.

that advice makes me really want to skip out
It's the bottom seams that often worry me the most. He won't have to worry about damaging anything (and really, it sounds more like he doesn't want to put in the effort for a sale) if he puts in two or three inches of water into the tank (with oolite or kalk, to make any incursions stand out).

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Well, no. Only buy the tank if you're willing to accept a little surprise or two when you get the thing home.If it's a $200 steal, then fine. But you're going to be spending a fair chunk of change for this, so I'd definitely do a water test before buying it.
He said he paid $2400 for the cabinet and tank. I looked on SCA and checkout was that price.

for $1200 it’s a 50% mark down?

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
It's the bottom seams that often worry me the most. He won't have to worry about damaging anything (and really, it sounds more like he doesn't want to put in the effort for a sale) if he puts in two or three inches of water into the tank (with oolite or kalk, to make any incursions stand out).
Wouldn’t he have to fill 170 gallons

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He said he paid $2400 for the cabinet and tank. I looked on SCA and checkout was that price.

for $1200 it’s a 50% mark down?
Lot of money to pay for something without any guarantee.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when did he buy it? And when/how has it been used?

To tell you the truth, I'd pass because of the seller's attitude. If he's not willing to go the distance to provide you with some assurances about its quality, it's not the right tank for you. You'll find something else.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
And when did he buy it? And when/how has it been used?

To tell you the truth, I'd pass because of the seller's attitude. If he's not willing to go the distance to provide you with some assurances about its quality, it's not the right tank for you. You'll find something else.
Well said man. I think it’s sketchy so I’m going to be assertive it’s water test or nothing

Back