A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

A/C or D/C Equipment?

  • A/C

    Votes: 9 8.3%
  • D/C

    Votes: 70 64.2%
  • Both

    Votes: 23 21.1%
  • Not Sure

    Votes: 14 12.8%

  • Total voters
    109

Reefer Matt

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
May 15, 2021
Messages
11,241
Reaction score
42,950
Location
US
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which do you prefer? A/C or D/C driven equipment, and why?
 
Which do you prefer? A/C or D/C driven equipment, and why?
For what, specifically? I think it depends on the equipment. Return pumps and skimmers, DC is an obvious advantage.
 
IMO it depends on the size of the equipment. My smallest tank is 12 gallon and my largest is 200 gallons. I prefer an AC driven return pump on my nano because I never use any of the speed control, the AC is simpler, small AC pumps are plenty quiet, and the energy consumption difference is minimal. For my 200 gallon tank switching to a DC pump made a massive reduction in noise and the energy consumption went way down. I will put up with the added complexity and cost for the power and noise reduction.

Even in a large system I still like small AC pumps for things like media reactors. It is really only pumps over 1000 GPH where I start to prefer DC.
 
If all was equal, I would prefer dc equipment be the standard just from a safety standpoint. Ac used to be cheap as dirt and bulletproof. Ac pumps can be a bit louder but it’s more of a white noise hum to me. Dc pretty silent but that whir sometimes bothers me but that’s just my brain/auditory dis function. I think having variable speed is good for some, but at the same time a hurdle for others. Sometimes, some people would just be better off with on or off being the only option. I do despise the power brick though! Here a brick, there a brick, everywhere a brick! A bunch of hot potatoes laying around. I always thought a universal dc power supply/strip with 12 and 24 volt standardized plugs would be cool beans.
 
Today I learned there's a difference between the two haha
 
Acdc GIF
 
If all was equal, I would prefer dc equipment be the standard just from a safety standpoint. Ac used to be cheap as dirt and bulletproof. Ac pumps can be a bit louder but it’s more of a white noise hum to me. Dc pretty silent but that whir sometimes bothers me but that’s just my brain/auditory dis function. I think having variable speed is good for some, but at the same time a hurdle for others. Sometimes, some people would just be better off with on or off being the only option. I do despise the power brick though! Here a brick, there a brick, everywhere a brick! A bunch of hot potatoes laying around. I always thought a universal dc power supply/strip with 12 and 24 volt standardized plugs would be cool beans.
Have you seen the Hydros Kraken?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new