Butterflies and Mojanos

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The only way I know is zapping or chemically using Pickling lime
Get a syringe or similar applicator and mix the Calcium Hydroxide powder with just enough water to make a thick paste like the consistency of toothpaste but just a little thinner. Apply the paste over the whole majano using your applicator with the Power heads off and then turn the power-heads and pumps back on after approximately 30 minutes.
Watch to make sure that none of the paste lands on any corals and if it does blow it off quickly with a turkey baster so they are not harmed.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only got rid of mines during my tank shut down when I left all the liverock in a tub. Much of the water eventually evaporated and the salinity got too high and killed them all. And of course there was no light source either. I HATE majanoes with a passion. WAY WAY WORSE than aptasia!

Jettareefer223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Pakistani butterfly that ate majanos in clients tank at one point. They’re pretty cool looking never really did any research on whether they are known for that. All butterflies pick at something ultimately lol. Thanks for sharing though the Raccoon’s cool!!

OP
OP
acro-ed

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The only way I know is zapping or chemically using Pickling lime
Get a syringe or similar applicator and mix the Calcium Hydroxide powder with just enough water to make a thick paste like the consistency of toothpaste but just a little thinner. Apply the paste over the whole majano using your applicator with the Power heads off and then turn the power-heads and pumps back on after approximately 30 minutes.
Watch to make sure that none of the paste lands on any corals and if it does blow it off quickly with a turkey baster so they are not harmed.

I've been doing exactly this for many years now. It is not entirely effective in that if any part of the mojano lives it will either move or split.

If I had the ability to constantly hit all of them regularly I think it could be a total solution.

But for me with 36" front to back glass and 27" depth it is entirely impossible without some sort of platform to suspend myself over the tank. Even when I've tried working from a ladder there are just some angles that make it impossible to get every last one. Manual injection/removal is simply not possible for me.

IvanW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel all your pain, as I am fighting this battle as well. I just recently added a Bi Color angel but so far does not look like it has made a dent. I am going to try and find a Kleins or even a Racoon and take my chances. Right at the moment my tank looks like hell as I had some sort of a bleaching event that was possibly caused by low Potassium levels that devastated the tank (a story for another time).
Acro-ed do you have any updates?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back