starry blenny and MAYBE a goby (species unknown right now)

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 gallon cube - 30x24

can blennies and gobies be in the same cube with no issues? I have always been told that unless the tank is larger, it's not a good idea to have them in the same tank. Since they are similar in shape / size, they will fight. (obviously trying to avoid that)

I have my heart set on a starry blenny. With me having an 80g cube, should I pick one or the other? Can they play together with no concerns?
I know they all have their own personalities, and it's not a definite yes / no. But does anyone have good / bed experiences?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 gallon cube - 30x24

can blennies and gobies be in the same cube with no issues? I have always been told that unless the tank is larger, it's not a good idea to have them in the same tank. Since they are similar in shape / size, they will fight. (obviously trying to avoid that)

I have my heart set on a starry blenny. With me having an 80g cube, should I pick one or the other? Can they play together with no concerns?
I know they all have their own personalities, and it's not a definite yes / no. But does anyone have good / bed experiences?
Starry blennies specifically can be real jerks. If you were to do it I'd go for a larger watchman goby with a pistol shrimp and add them first.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salarias blennies are generally rude fish, and I've had mixed success. My best success is when there are other fish that are higher on the totem pole than the blenny and keep it in line

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my last tank 6ft long, I had a starry blenny and an orange prawn goby that never bothered each other. everyone was happy. but it was a larger tank too

kenand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80 gallon cube - 30x24

I have a starry and diamond in my 99 gallon. They seem to get along fine. Hope this was some help.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 3’x16”x1’ nano and my Blenny doesn’t care about my gobies as long as they stay out of his area.
Here’s an FTS for an idea of what I have in terms of territory. That giant elegance seems to be the go to hiding spot for my fish.
IMG_9763.jpeg

The gobies and Blenny I have are;
- Escenius pulcher Tiger Tail Blenny
- Signigobius bimaculatus Eye Spot Goby
- Nemateleotris lavandula Lavender Firefish
- Gobiodon acicularis Black Clown Goby
- Discordipinna griessingeri Griessinger’s Goby
- Stonogobiops yasha Yasha Goby
And if we include them, I also have a Spotted Mandarin Dragonet

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back