Can I put Court Jester Goby with Tailspot Blenny? 30 gal.

Sashimi Poke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Would a tailspot blenny and court jester goby be compatible in my 30 gallon tank? I currently don't have any other fish, but plan to add a pair of clownfish later.

Also, I have not been able to find court jester gobies for sale anywhere for a while, did they go extinct?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Would a tailspot blenny and court jester goby be compatible in my 30 gallon tank? I currently don't have any other fish, but plan to add a pair of clownfish later.

Also, I have not been able to find court jester gobies for sale anywhere for a while, did they go extinct?

I can't recall mixing those two species, but I think they would be o.k. However, I'm not a big fan of court jesters, they can be kind of delicate, especially in new aquariums. Here is a thread:

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know anything about the court jester goby but I highly recommend the tailspot blenny. Big personality in a little body.
73DEA7FB-B59D-4787-AC5B-BAC9F4E2A12B.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the forum!
They should do fine together - neither are known for being particularly aggressive or territorial.
I see rainfords gobies (court jester) pop up every now and then at my lfs. They also had hectors gobies (close relative) there today. Like anything, they only pop up when you aren’t looking…

OP
OP
S

Sashimi Poke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, my LFS had a tailspot blenny so I just brought him home. If I see a rainford's at some point in the future I might buy it. My tank is old, I just haven't had fish for a few years, now I am going to put fish in again. I used to have TONS of pods and mysis shrimp but it seems they were lost when my tank crashed. I'll rebuild their populations.

BlueSkyAT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They should be fine. They are the only 2 fish in my tank right now, and spend a good amount of time together.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know anything about the court jester goby but I highly recommend the tailspot blenny. Big personality in a little body.
73DEA7FB-B59D-4787-AC5B-BAC9F4E2A12B.jpeg
Love my Tailspot. But he is so fat now. I’m worried he’s gonna literally explode!! lol

I really don’t think it will be an issue with court jester. I have a Dracula goby and a helfrichi and they get along great!

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't recall mixing those two species, but I think they would be o.k. However, I'm not a big fan of court jesters, they can be kind of delicate, especially in new aquariums. Here is a thread:
In the last 30 years I've kept several wild caught and 1 captive bread Koumansetta rainfordi. They all did well as long as they had a safe cave or overhang of rock to retreat to and food made it to the sand, or bottom of the tank, where they dwell.

This is a perfect companion for Ecsenius stigmatura, the Tailspin Blenny. He too will enjoy a shaded spot amongst the rock and will probably be the more active one initially.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Tailspot. But he is so fat now. I’m worried he’s gonna literally explode!! lol

I really don’t think it will be an issue with court jester. I have a Dracula goby and a helfrichi and they get along great!
Big eaters! Mine’s stomach looks like it’s going to explode after he eats.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

We sell small batches of court jesters, I'd shy away from wild caught because they usually starve in aquariums. They're a super passive fish often prone to bullying.

Tchung23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We sell small batches of court jesters, I'd shy away from wild caught because they usually starve in aquariums. They're a super passive fish often prone to bullying.
Yes my court jester got bullied by my peppermint basslet and i never saw him again:crying-face:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back