Anyone with a Court Jester/Rainsford goby? What do you think?

buttonreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I've been looking for one last peaceful nano fish to round out a 15 gallon tank I've started. I already have a Yasha goby and a Tail Spot blenny. I am looking to add a court jester or Rainford's goby, Koumansetta rainfordi:

https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/products/court-jester

Anyone else have one? What do you think of them? Love to see pics if not too much trouble ;-)

I read that wild caught specimens can be tough to feed. The ones from Biota are supposed to be captive breed and will feed on pellets in addition to other foods.

Does anyone think that a court jester goby would go after a very small Randall's/Candy Cane pistol shrimp? I do already have a really small Randall's pistol shrimp for my Yasha, and I don't want anything to happen to the shrimp.

Thank you for your help!
i adore mine. have him in one of my nanos. super shy at first, but once he got used to the environment, he was always out and about. such a character, you can’t go wrong! mine eats pretty much everything i put in the tank. i had the worker at the LFS i got him from feed him before i picked him up, which is always a good idea.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shot of the three together amazes me as they don't look like juveniles and you obviously have at least one female in your tank.
I had 7 of them but the 3 I have now keep bullying them so they get the horrors and stay in the back until they disappear. I now have 3 and the breeding pair seems to tolerate the 3rd one but I can't put in any more. I wish I could but I tried a few times and they don't get along.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you know if they have them eating prepared foods?
The guy at FisHotel can get them in, and those will be eating prepared foods, as they have to in order to get through the QT he does. You can find him doing orders on the humble.fish forums.

In a big enough tank, they pick at algae and pods and such, without ever really needing to be fed. Though I'm not sure exactly how large the tank has to be to manage that. Would depend pretty heavily on your algae level.

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi all!

I've been looking for one last peaceful nano fish to round out a 15 gallon tank I've started. I already have a Yasha goby and a Tail Spot blenny. I am looking to add a court jester or Rainford's goby, Koumansetta rainfordi:

https://shop.thebiotagroup.com/products/court-jester

Anyone else have one? What do you think of them? Love to see pics if not too much trouble ;-)

I read that wild caught specimens can be tough to feed. The ones from Biota are supposed to be captive breed and will feed on pellets in addition to other foods.

Does anyone think that a court jester goby would go after a very small Randall's/Candy Cane pistol shrimp? I do already have a really small Randall's pistol shrimp for my Yasha, and I don't want anything to happen to the shrimp.

Thank you for your help!
Love mine. It's in a 10g. Funny little fish, it picks up sand and shifts some. Always finding pockets of sand on corals.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy at FisHotel can get them in, and those will be eating prepared foods, as they have to in order to get through the QT he does. You can find him doing orders on the humble.fish forums.

In a big enough tank, they pick at algae and pods and such, without ever really needing to be fed. Though I'm not sure exactly how large the tank has to be to manage that. Would depend pretty heavily on your algae level.
I've kept them many times in mature 40 Breeders. I'm sure they would be fine in a mature 10. If they become available eating prepared food I can recommend them to people with younger tanks. Right now, I always recommend the captive-bred Rainfords for young tanks and Hectors only for mature tanks. Both are delightful fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back