rainford/court jester goby in a bare bottom tank?

duckman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I got a Rainford Goby and currently have it in a bare bottom tank. I believe rainford/court jester goby are free swimming and doesn't require sand bed. So is it safe to say that he will be happy in a barebottom? I could probably add sand if need be though I would prefer not to unless I need to to avoid major changes to the tank.

MaxM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is never in the sand but it likes sifting the sand for food. You could put in a bowl with sand and make sure some of the food settles there. It likes plenty of rockwork for picking at too.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a Rainford Goby and currently have it in a bare bottom tank. I believe rainford/court jester goby are free swimming and doesn't require sand bed. So is it safe to say that he will be happy in a barebottom? I could probably add sand if need be though I would prefer not to unless I need to to avoid major changes to the tank.
It’s likely they will starve without sand, this is where most of their nutrients come from (frozen/pellets rarely give them enough nutrition unless it’s fed 4-5x a day).

They do also use the sandbed to make their caves, here was mine that I had a year or so ago, he used rubble and sand to form his cave.
IMG_6448.jpeg

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one in April and haven’t seen it since a week after I put it in the tank, hoping it’s still alive and just really good at hiding. Tank has plenty of sand and rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back