Anyone with a Court Jester/Rainsford goby? What do you think?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, ocean live rock will help quite a lot. You miiight be fine for one already, really, though I'd give it a few more months in case anything's still working on steadiness. Though it's less the steadiness and more the sheer amount of algae + pods they want.

ScubaSnacks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20240114_192517124.jpg

Here's my little court jester in a 40B. The tank is about a year and a half old. I feed the tank heavy with alternating combinations of mysis, spirulina brine, masstick, flake, pellets, and reef frenzy nano. I dose dinkins pods monthly and 20mL photo daily. The sand feeds the court jester and the links Goby, and coris wrasse and everyone always has full bellies.

It is always out and about but occasionally gets bullied by my sapphire damsel, otherwise no issues with OC, cleaner and peppermint shrimp, PJ, or any other inhabitants. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, ocean live rock will help quite a lot. You miiight be fine for one already, really, though I'd give it a few more months in case anything's still working on steadiness. Though it's less the steadiness and more the sheer amount of algae + pods they want.
Thank you for the reply. I’m going to wait a little longer to add the court jester goby. I do think my tank with the aquacultured live rock and sand is out ahead of a tank started with dry rock and sand, for example, but I’m still going to give it a little longer. Thanks for your help!

PXL_20240114_192517124.jpg

Here's my little court jester in a 40B. The tank is about a year and a half old. I feed the tank heavy with alternating combinations of mysis, spirulina brine, masstick, flake, pellets, and reef frenzy nano. I dose dinkins pods monthly and 20mL photo daily. The sand feeds the court jester and the links Goby, and coris wrasse and everyone always has full bellies.

It is always out and about but occasionally gets bullied by my sapphire damsel, otherwise no issues with OC, cleaner and peppermint shrimp, PJ, or any other inhabitants. Hope this helps.
Great pic, thanks for sharing! I think a court jester goby would be a real nice addition to my tank, I’m just going to wait a little longer before I get one. But thank you again for your reply!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that ocean rock puts you miles ahead of dry rock.
I’d like to think so, the stuff is awesome. So how would I know if/when my tank is mature enough to add a court jester goby? What are some of the signs I should look for?

Kiboshed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to think so, the stuff is awesome. So how would I know if/when my tank is mature enough to add a court jester goby? What are some of the signs I should look for?
If you have good algae growth and thousands of pods already I say go for it.

Too many people get caught up on a specific timeline or date when the fact is tanks mature at different rates. Especially with you having started out with mature live rock. When will your tank be mature enough? Doubt anyone will be able to give you a exact moment.

I have only had this Hectors Goby for 2 weeks, but he is already my favorite inhabitant. Came to me with significant fin damage, but has healed a lot in a short amount of time.

It's not shy and spends all day hunting and pecking the substrate and rockwork. To be fair though his only tank mates are a Linear Goby and Firefish so not exactly a hostile environment. Disappears as soon as the blues come on though. Has no problem eating prepared frozen food, but ignores dry foods.

With fin damage:
PXL_20240118_011811710.jpg

After a week of healing:
PXL_20240124_012617468.jpg

Hope any of this helps.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have good algae growth and thousands of pods already I say go for it.

Too many people get caught up on a specific timeline or date when the fact is tanks mature at different rates. Especially with you having started out with mature live rock. When will your tank be mature enough? Doubt anyone will be able to give you a exact moment.

I have only had this Hectors Goby for 2 weeks, but he is already my favorite inhabitant. Came to me with significant fin damage, but has healed a lot in a short amount of time.

It's not shy and spends all day hunting and pecking the substrate and rockwork. To be fair though his only tank mates are a Linear Goby and Firefish so not exactly a hostile environment. Disappears as soon as the blues come on though. Has no problem eating prepared frozen food, but ignores dry foods.

With fin damage:
PXL_20240118_011811710.jpg

After a week of healing:
PXL_20240124_012617468.jpg

Hope any of this helps.
That fish looks so much better, good job!

Thank you for your advice. I fully get that tanks mature differently, and you can‘t just say a year or whatever. I also realized that while I got my live rock and sand delivered on November 13th., I actually started the tank about 6 weeks before that using a fish-less cycle method. Currently, I can see all kinds of ‘pods u- and down the glass. I have coralline algae growing on the glass. The rock came with every imaginable kind of algae from micro to macro, film to hair (no bubble though). Nothing out of control, but there’s a lot of it.

Here’s a pic of the tank, you can see the ‘pods on the glass in the second photo. And a water change and a glass cleaning are coming tomorrow, so the glass is a little dingy at the moment (which I think the ‘pods are loving).

I do think I may need some more sand for this goby. I upgraded the return pump recently, and it moved the sand around a lot, I’ll try to fix that tomorrow.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

cvonessn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favorite fish in my 26 gallon nano....I never see him eat prepared but he's always grazing

Attachments

• PXL_20230821_194958293.jpg
    PXL_20230821_194958293.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 26
OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine Hi, Jake! I just noticed you're a member here at R2R, and maybe you can help me. I'm interested in ordering one of your court jester gobies, and I'm wondering how mature my tank has to be to support one. My tank (pictured above) is a 15 gallon started on November 13th with aquacultured live rock and sand. I do see lots of 'pods on the glass. Do you think I have enough algae for a court jester goby? And should I increase the depth of the sand bed? Anything else you think I need to know to best care for this fish? And I'm not in a hurry, if have to wait longer before adding one that's fine. Thank you for your help!

Fritz05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing on the Randall’s shrimp: My Biota court jester actually spent its nights in the burrow of the shrimp, so they got along great! I do have to say that mine unfortunately died after about a year without any real warning signs. It looked great, was grazing all the time, but started staying in the shrimp’s burrow during the day. After doing this for a couple of weeks, it disappeared.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just added 6 biota rainfords last night as the first fish into our 210 reef
Already eating foods (rotifers) and pecking at the sand and rocks.
We got ours locally though from TSM

Last night during acclimation

This morning out hunting

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 or 6 of these very similar fish with the same habits. They eat algae, cyano and anything else that randomly grows all over my tank. They won't do well in a very new or clean tank and don't eat normal foods, not even live worms. If you have more than two, they may chase the others away and won't let them eat. Especially in a smaller tank

A pair of mine are spawning.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Biota_Marine Hi, Jake! I just noticed you're a member here at R2R, and maybe you can help me. I'm interested in ordering one of your court jester gobies, and I'm wondering how mature my tank has to be to support one. My tank (pictured above) is a 15 gallon started on November 13th with aquacultured live rock and sand. I do see lots of 'pods on the glass. Do you think I have enough algae for a court jester goby? And should I increase the depth of the sand bed? Anything else you think I need to know to best care for this fish? And I'm not in a hurry, if have to wait longer before adding one that's fine. Thank you for your help!
I’d say you’re probably good to go. Just try to offer some smaller food like rotifers or calanus or something while he’s getting settled in.
We used to have a single Rainford as the only fish in a 32g biocube and he lived in there for years, pecking away at algae. After he was settled in for over a year we didn’t even feed the tank anymore, he just ate the algae that was produced through his and the corals waste (I don’t recommend doing this to start) Love the little guys, that’s why we had to get a group for the new tank.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 or 6 of these very similar fish with the same habits. They eat algae, cyano and anything else that randomly grows all over my tank. They won't do well in a very new or clean tank and don't eat normal foods, not even live worms. If you have more than two, they may chase the others away and won't let them eat. Especially in a smaller tank

A pair of mine are spawning.

Thank you for your reply, those are some great pics!

I definitely am planning on only one of these gobies, and if/when I do it, I’m going to get a captive bred one that‘s *supposed* to take prepared foods, even pellets, but I’d like to confirm that before purchase.

I’d say you’re probably good to go. Just try to offer some smaller food like rotifers or calanus or something while he’s getting settled in.
We used to have a single Rainford as the only fish in a 32g biocube and he lived in there for years, pecking away at algae. After he was settled in for over a year we didn’t even feed the tank anymore, he just ate the algae that was produced through his and the corals waste (I don’t recommend doing this to start) Love the little guys, that’s why we had to get a group for the new tank.
Yeah, I’m thinking as long as I get a captive bred one I’d be alright. I’d be interested to see what Biota says, and if I don’t hear from them here I’ll reach out to them through their website.

Thanks guys!

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a few Rainsford over the last couple of decades. All were live caught, before anyone was captive breeding them. In my experience it took a few days to a couple of weeks to get them to eat but then they would east live or frozen brine and eventually frozen mysis. Once they're eating they were pretty easy to maintain, though shy by nature. Wonderful fish !

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept a few Rainsford over the last couple of decades. All were live caught, before anyone was captive breeding them. In my experience it took a few days to a couple of weeks to get them to eat but then they would east live or frozen brine and eventually frozen mysis. Once they're eating they were pretty easy to maintain, though shy by nature. Wonderful fish !
Thank you for your reply! I have heard they’re shy, but mine will be with only a Yasha goby and a tail spot blenny, so it should be a very peaceful tank, which is what I want.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*supposed* to take prepared foods, even pellets, but I’d like to confirm that before purchase.
I don't find them to be shy as they are always in the front of the tank. But they pick constantly on what is growing on the back and sides of the tank. Mostly dying algae, cyano and any other slimy thing they can find. But not real food like other fish eat. I have been keeping them for decades.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't find them to be shy as they are always in the front of the tank. But they pick constantly on what is growing on the back and sides of the tank. Mostly dying algae, cyano and any other slimy thing they can find. But not real food like other fish eat. I have been keeping them for decades.
I think the reports of them being shy are when they are kept with more aggressive tank mates. I want as much peace as possible in my little 15 gallon tank, and I think a yasha goby, a tail spot blenny, and a court jester goby should all get along just fine. None of those fish are known to be aggressive.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank should be all good to introduce them. They aren't the most voracious eaters like anthias but they eat many prepared diets offered to them. Many of the people above mirrored this sentiment but they do well with small consistent feeds and between feedings they're usually grazing on algae or rockwork.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back