Tips on introducing new small fish to established system?

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting a yellow watchman goby and a court jester goby from Biota, both captive bred. I've kept both fish before in a past tank with success, but the ones I'm getting from Biota are tiny. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on introducing them into the tank at such a small size. I plan to use an acclimation box, but I'm wondering if there's a rule of thumb for how long to keep them in there, or any other tips.

Current fish in the tank are a pair of clowns and a royal gramma. I also have a pair of fire shrimp and some other inverts but I don't really expect them to bother anyone. Tank is a 50 gallon AIO lagoon.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need to worry about an acclimation box, but if you'd like to go that route, you shouldn't need to leave them in isolation for more than a week. That should be long enough for your current residents to get used to their presence. You can also feed your fish right next to the acclimation box so theyre forced to come and see the newcomers.

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you need to worry about an acclimation box, but if you'd like to go that route, you shouldn't need to leave them in isolation for more than a week. That should be long enough for your current residents to get used to their presence. You can also feed your fish right next to the acclimation box so theyre forced to come and see the newcomers.
thank you! i was also thinking a couple days to a week max. none of my fish are particularly aggressive, except the female clownfish towards my hand… lol

i was just worried because they arrived and the watchman goby is a little bigger than a neon tetra haha

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! i was also thinking a couple days to a week max. none of my fish are particularly aggressive, except the female clownfish towards my hand… lol

i was just worried because they arrived and the watchman goby is a little bigger than a neon tetra haha
I am strongly considering ordering a court jester goby from Biota, how was your experience with that fish? Was it also very small like the yellow watchman? Did it eat any prepared foods like they advertise?

Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
k log(omega)

k log(omega)

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am strongly considering ordering a court jester goby from Biota, how was your experience with that fish? Was it also very small like the yellow watchman? Did it eat any prepared foods like they advertise?

Thanks for your help!
he arrived very small - like around 3.5cm. he’s still alive and kicking. doesn’t really eat prepared food, although i’ve seen him go for a pellet or two. weirdly enough shows more interest in pellets than frozen. he mostly just sifts sand and picks stuff off the rocks once in a while. luckily my sand bed is packed with good stuff since my obsession with microfauna due to my recent battle with dinos lol. i have pod and phyto cultures just to keep high biodiversity and i’m sure those help keep him fat. he adjusted super quickly after adding.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back