Butterflyfish in Copper QT

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a butterfly that is currently in QT. He has been in copper power (1.5-1.75 ppm) for the past 6 days and is doing well, but once when I tested, the copper levels are 1.25-1.4 ppm. Do I need to restart the 14 day count? I am going to transfer him to a clean, cycled system after completing 14 days copper.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a butterfly that is currently in QT. He has been in copper power (1.5-1.75 ppm) for the past 6 days and is doing well, but once when I tested, the copper levels are 1.25-1.4 ppm. Do I need to restart the 14 day count? I am going to transfer him to a clean, cycled system after completing 14 days copper.
It sounds like you have something absorbing copper. Unfortunately you have fallen pretty well below the therapuetic minimum of 1.5ppm. I would raise the level back up to 1.75-2.0ppm (slowly, over 3 days or so) and run for another 14 days before the transfer.

Testing daily is a good idea in this case to see if you are encountering absorption. This way you can dose daily to compensate if necessary and prevent falling out of the therapuetic range again.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.3%
Back