Copper power with Prazi?

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So looks like I have flukes in my qt tank. Problem is I'm currently on day 9 of copper power. I do tank trasfer in 5 more days to a sterile tank. In the mean time, what are my options? Can I add prazi with copper power? Or am I screwed until I tank trasfer, and in the mean time I do fw dip on every fish?

#reefsquad

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TK_KW Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So looks like I have flukes in my qt tank. Problem is I'm currently on day 9 of copper power. I do tank trasfer in 5 more days to a sterile tank. In the mean time, what are my options? Can I add prazi with copper power? Or am I screwed until I tank trasfer, and in the mean time I do fw dip on every fish?

#reefsquad
I would not advise mixing as copper has stabilizers and praziquantel has glycol which may counteract each other
Recommend, coppersafe first then prazi

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not advise mixing as copper has stabilizers and praziquantel has glycol which may counteract each other
Recommend, coppersafe first then prazi
Right. But I cant treat flukes until copper is complete. Should I fresh water dip all the fish temporarily to get through the next five days? Or just wait it out? Then I can treat flukes in my other tank.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Right. But I cant treat flukes until copper is complete. Should I fresh water dip all the fish temporarily to get through the next five days? Or just wait it out? Then I can treat flukes in my other tank.
You can treat display tank with prazi and then place fish in copper safe. If fish don’t have flukes or symptoms, go to coppersafe first for 30 days then water change, then prazi

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It puts additional stress on the fish combining medications. With that said, I have combined the two medications with no problems. I heavily airated the water surface and added additional airstones.

Treating for ich first is the best protocol. Typically flukes aren’t fatal if the fish is eating well and water quality is good for the short period of time. Additionally, a FWD would be effective against flukes and it may help you identify if you even have flukes to begin with.

OP
OP
TK_KW

TK_KW

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It puts additional stress on the fish combining medications. With that said, I have combined the two medications with no problems. I heavily airated the water surface and added additional airstones.

Treating for ich first is the best protocol. Typically flukes aren’t fatal if the fish is eating well and water quality is good for the short period of time. Additionally, a FWD would be effective against flukes and it may help you identify if you even have flukes to begin with.
Fish are currently in my qt3 tank. In five days I trasfer into my sterilized qt1 tank. As copper will be done. At that point, I could treat with Prazi. Currently one fish is not doing well. Five others are eating and swimming as per normal.

I most definitely have flukes.lost this fish overnight.

Problem was I typically run prazi first, then go to copper. This batch of fish I got blinded by the fact I had a bacterial infection in one of the fish first. Treated that, I then moved onto copper. I complelty overlooked flukes, as it's been almost a year since I've seen them come through my qt systems.

Attachments

• 20240414_094453.jpg
    20240414_094453.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 14

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish are currently in my qt3 tank. In five days I trasfer into my sterilized qt1 tank. As copper will be done. At that point, I could treat with Prazi. Currently one fish is not doing well. Five others are eating and swimming as per normal.

Problem was I typically run prazi first, then go to copper. This batch of fish I got blinded by the fact I had a bacterial infection in one of the fish first. Treated that, I then moved onto copper. I complelty overlooked flukes, as it's been almost a year since I've seen them come through my qt systems.
Spots looks like skin irritation that has led to mucus cones mixed with ich

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One option for flukes and ich would be hyposalinity. It treats both. 1.009 specific gravity, measuring with a calibrated refractometer.

Just throwing that out there.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

#reefsquad

I really don't like the short copper treatment and then moving the fish....it can let ich get through. Especially, you don't want to do this with fish that have symptoms of ich, copper power can take up to 5 days to even start to control an ich infection. Ionic copper can sometimes be used for 14 days and then move the fish out (21 days is better). Amine-chelated coppers like coppersafe and copper power just don't lend themselves well to this process, but they are a lot milder on the fish.

FW dips won't cure flukes, only limit the degree of infection to buy you some time. However, the dips are stressful and you risk damaging the fish with each dip.

What symptoms are you seeing that makes you think you have flukes?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

#reefsquad
FIrst - prazipro treatment should (according to R2R protocol 8 days then another. I can't determine at all what you're doing or why - but - You can treat with copperpower - adding ioxygen (airstone) as is usual with Prazipro. PS - Its unclear - is it prazipro or praziquantel?

SoFlo Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would pick up some API General Cure for the future. It is powdered prazi/metro and in my experience seems to be milder on prazi sensitive species. I use it during copper treatment in virtually every QT I do and have never had an issue, even with sensitive species like wrasses. It may take more than 2 doses or additional dips to completely eliminate flukes but will definitely improve your chances vs. waiting it out until after copper.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back