Treating with copper power.

JTN54

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all, I’m about to start treating with copper power in quarantine with ich. Please excuse me for any dumb questions but what is the therapeutic range for copper power? And I keep seeing people say that you have to maintain that level or you have to restart the treatment. But I also see people say that you have to do a 50% water change every two days or according to the ammonia levels. How do I maintain a constant level even with doing a 50% change? Just trying to get this right. Thanks for any responses.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all, I’m about to start treating with copper power in quarantine with ich. Please excuse me for any dumb questions but what is the therapeutic range for copper power? And I keep seeing people say that you have to maintain that level or you have to restart the treatment. But I also see people say that you have to do a 50% water change every two days or according to the ammonia levels. How do I maintain a constant level even with doing a 50% change? Just trying to get this right. Thanks for any responses.
Copper power should be target dosed at 2.25 ppm with a range of 2 to 2.5
The Hanna high range tester is the best way to monitor the dose.

With water changes, you dose the replacement water with a proportional dose, and that keeps you close to the proper range.

It isn’t true that if the level drops, you have to restart the treatment, but you should extend the treatment by the amount of time you were below the proper level.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started a copper treatment myself. I believe the therapeutic range is 2 to 2.5ppm. If you don't have seeded filter material for your quarantine then you can mix up a batch of saltwater with the copper at the appropriate level to use for water changes. This means you will be replacing copper water in the qt with the same level of copper water you mixed up. You can use a 5 gallon pail to mix the saltwater and copper.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

With water changes, you dose the replacement water with a proportional dose, and that keeps you close to the proper range.

It isn’t true that if the level drops, you have to restart the treatment, but you should extend the treatment by the amount of time you were below the proper level.
Jay beat me to it and is much more knowledgeable

Bacon and Eggs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Quick curbside here if you have a min. Was researching Copper Power. Currently using in the QT for the first time. Some sources like BRS seem to indicate you can run it along with carbon without significantly effecting the concentration? You have any experience with this?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick curbside here if you have a min. Was researching Copper Power. Currently using in the QT for the first time. Some sources like BRS seem to indicate you can run it along with carbon without significantly effecting the concentration? You have any experience with this?

Carbon is not very effective at removing chelated copper, but I never use it in conjunction with copper, just to be safe.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back