Buying a frag tank-need advice!

  • Thread starter Thread starter ahiggins
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 13, 2016
Messages
4,827
Reaction score
3,397
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey y'all!
I want to buy a frag tank but I don't know where to start. I know I want either a bare talk or aio setup.
Does anyone have any idea where to shop for these?
 
Do you want to link it into an existing system or do you want a stand alone. That is the first question.
 
Stand alone

I've heard people making Rubbermaid containers or the like into frag tanks...doable?
 
Stand alone

I've heard people making Rubbermaid containers or the like into frag tanks...doable?

Yeah, very doable.
30 gallon breeders at 12 inches tall make a nice frag tank as do 40 gal longs. Personally for a stand alone if you have the money an acrylic frag tank with the back partitioned to use as filter chambers or skimmer chamber are nice set ups.
 
Stand alone

I've heard people making Rubbermaid containers or the like into frag tanks...doable?

If looks aren't a concern it's it's definitely a good option especially with decreased risk of crack or leaking.
 
zoomed_Low_Boy_Aquarium.jpg
The Low Boy is an interesting new breeder aquarium from ZooMed which is destined to be the hobby’s new favorite frag tank. This 50 gallon aquarium has an area of 48 by 24 inches, but it is only 10 inches tall! This low and flat breeder tank, aptly named the ‘Low Boy’ is the perfect

Continue reading...

100.00 cant beat it.
 
That low boy is awesome. I think I might actually buy one of those!
 
If you like projects you could always DIY. Shallow is the way to go. Plan everything before you do it. I mean plan. Things to consider, lighting (go with a better spread than LED especially if shallow tank), fish stock lost (nothing ornamental, make them serve a purpose), powerheads, more importantly is location. I say location because if it in your house there are additional considerations as well as in the garage (chiller).
 
If you like projects you could always DIY. Shallow is the way to go. Plan everything before you do it. I mean plan. Things to consider, lighting (go with a better spread than LED especially if shallow tank), fish stock lost (nothing ornamental, make them serve a purpose), powerheads, more importantly is location. I say location because if it in your house there are additional considerations as well as in the garage (chiller).
Thats really good advice :D especially the stock list

Do we have a DIY frag tank link here?
 
If I decided to DIY one (and AIO sump into a 40 breeder for example)....what would be the best silicone to use?
 
I think I may just buy a 20 long and put a sump on one side of it myself.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 24.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 24.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new