Buying an Ro/DI unit. Which one is best?

airwaterice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Air water Ice is a family business in the USA and we build and test EVERY RODI we make THE DAY YOU ORDER. We stock every unit with FRESH high quality media. We are ALL about our customers for over 30 years. 30 years of solely specializing in RODI.

You just don't want to buy your RODI and filter media from a Big Reef Supply company that pulls your RODI off of a shelf that has been sitting there for over a year....ASK questions before your buy... buy from a company that has Excellent Customer Service that can actually give you a answer to your specific situation and never forget the value of your due diligence!

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we can all say there is a lot of options out there and quite a few really good companies making RODI units. Find the one that fits your needs and your budget and you should be happy. :)

alin2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with BRS, it's great, but then I needed more. I upgraded to the ULTRA-HIGH-EFFICIENCY 5 stage from Spectrapure. True 1:1 ratio!

+1

I have the Spectrapure UHE which is fantastic. I had some issues initially with the way the entire system was designed but Spectrapure worked with me to get everything running properly with UPLCs and other level controllers. Although there was some frustrations, the most important thing was that they saw this project through to the end with a unique solution.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the first UHE-100 low waste systems they produced over 8 years ago and it's been bulletproof. Still at 99.4% rejection today.

fab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the first UHE-100 low waste systems they produced over 8 years ago and it's been bulletproof. Still at 99.4% rejection today.

Me, too. Same experience, at least until a couple of months ago. I finally had to replace the booster pump. It lasted 8-1/2 years. That is outstanding reliabilility for a pump in my opinion. It did not cost much to replace it. They got me a replacement in the mail same day I called in the problem. Really simple install. Great service from these guys in Arizona.

In fact I believe I bought the first one they sold. That was back in Oct 2007. They were planning to offer a larger throughput version at that time. I told them I did not want to wait, bought it right away. I figured I would just work out an upgrade with them when they were ready with an upgrade path to 2x throughput. I think they never came out with the 2x throughput unit. Glad I did not wait!

These Spectrapure UHE RODI units, ultra-high efficiency, are the absolute best in my opinion. They have the lowest recurring operating and maintenance expense to my knowledge.

That said, I have never tried Air Water Ice systems.

airwaterice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Best" is a very relative term...the spectrapure uhe is $1,000.00 ... my systems get 99% rejection at $150...we use the exact same dow filmtec membrane that is in that unit... from my experience due to the "wetter" environment the electronics have a big tendency to foul out as the components corrode after several years...booster pumps are better built...

FWIW most people that we have done business with in the last 30 years dont want to pay $1000 for anything "outside the tank".

Cyclist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, 1k for RODI unit is a lot. But it's a complete package with float switches and everything.

Best of all, I am using less natural resources for the hobby.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back