Buying corals in person is so much more FUN

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I certainly look at a lot of online corals, I very rarely find myself willing to pull the trigger. I do have problematic shipping issues, but that aside I just want to see the corals in person. Photoshop doesn't bother me, these days most stores are running all blue see my crappy iphone pics I don't use a filter since at home I use a dslr. I find when I get to look at them I see something I wouldn't have considered, found something better and just like to enjoy the fish store experience. When I first got into the hobby many mornings were spent waiting in line outside reef stores for them to open, fresh shipments of 100s of pieces were always coming in and you never knew what you'd find. Nowadays with all the bans, and the fact at least in the Toronto area where I'm from there are a lot more fish stores the race is mostly a thing of the past. Coloured up expensive frags are more readily available but also way more expensive. Given the increase in costs it does make more sense to pay for something like that then high dollar "potential gems". I moved away almost 3 years ago but love going back for many reasons and the shops are near the top of the list.

By chance one of the old shops I frequented had a western Australia shipment arrive the one day I was in town. Got to the store 5 minutes before they opened and a little surprised there was still a small line. Nothing crazy like in the past but still brought back memories having 12-15 people rush in to see the new arrivals. While I occasionally buy high end pieces, I am much more a quantity of quality guy. I like unusual more then beautiful sometimes. However since I am now unable to shop for corals more then a couple of times a year and with so much uncertainty I did change what I was after.

The last time I was doing serious coral shopping was shortly before the Indo ban. I am still kicking myself for passing on piles of torches. I bought a nice blue maricultured acro and stuck it in my softy system that has limited sps thinking it might do okay. Of course it didn't but had I known that was the last time I'd ever come home with a big colony I would have put it in another tank and really babied it.

With that in mind I purchased this beautiful Australophyllia Wilsoni colony. I am not suggesting anything but in my mind I am not 100% certain I will ever come home with a giant coral again.

IMG_7500.JPG

I'll post another picture tonight I have to move it a bit but despite being cut in half 5 minutes before I took it on an 8 hour car ride, it's looking great.

I was also able to see a koi tang for the first time in person. As I mentioned in the past I was always at various shops so I've been lucky to not only collect many different fish and corals but see stuff I'd never be able to afford. 4 number fish. I didn't ask the price but it was already sold anyway :

IMG_1825.jpg

This is an absolutely horrible picture but this shop had 100s and 100s and 100s of 5" maxima clams. Something I have not seen for many years. I remember about 10 years ago a store imported a ton and they all spawned in the vat leaving a clam soup. I think he just did water changes but he probably could have bottled it up and sold it as coral food.

IMG_1820.jpg

Now this piece I did pre order because it looked fantastic online, in person again it was better. There are 6-7 colours at least on this chalice and I look forward to growing it out. Also got some low end sps for my work in progress hard coral reef. My main display is softy dominated with select lps.

IMG_7493.JPG

I would have loved to take more pictures / videos as I love watching fish store tours on youtube and reading other peoples posts about reef stores, but overwhelming. I had other business but squeezed in as much reef related stuff as possible. I didn't even look at the fish or other corals at the store I got the Wilsoni - Obviously it was not a cheap piece. Counting the 6 fish stores I went to I went 18 places over 22hrs. At least now back to boring I have some new corals to enjoy..

IMG_1820.jpg
IMG_1829.jpg
IMG_1828.jpg
IMG_1827(1).jpg
IMG_1822.jpg
IMG_1816.jpg
IMG_1817.jpg

The last pic is just funny good for Big Al's for being able to get $44 for kenya trees. Unlike a lot of serious reefers I do still enjoy them. I brought a bunch with me and sold them to someone for $1.50 each.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great story! I to enjoy going to local fish store and have been known to upset the wife to detour to a fish store on trips lol

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back