Buying my first fish

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new to saltwater (many years planted freshwater). I have a 30 gallon QT tank that is progressing through cycling. I am researching buying a couple of clownfish for when the cycle is complete.

I would like to get good quality fish (as in healthy). I am not looking for particularly exotic or rare variants. What are my best options? Petco? Indy LFS? On-line? Other hobbyists? With freshwater, I had a lot of luck buying online from reputed stores.

Also, any preference between Ocellaris/Percula?

Thanks!

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your not planning on QT than I definatly would stay away from petco or any bigbox places. Your lsf is probably a good place to start, ask about their qt process. They could also special order from places like ORA where you are practically guarenteed a healthy fish.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had nothing but good things from Live-Aquaria. However, check your LFS first and see if they have anything you want. It's always better to be able to see what you are buying live and in person vs seeing a picture and hitting order now.

OP
OP
rainsong

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely be quarantining the new fish. I would like to take this opportunity to learn the QT process ... especially on a relatively hardy fish. Also, the DT will not be ready rightaway.

OP
OP
rainsong

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had nothing but good things from Live-Aquaria. However, check your LFS first and see if they have anything you want. It's always better to be able to see what you are buying live and in person vs seeing a picture and hitting order now.
I noticed LiveAquaria carries ORA fish. Are these fish drop shipped directly from ORA to customers?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ora fish from Liveaquaria go to the liveaquaria facility, where they will be guaranteed to get sick...I did not have a good LA experience.
Lfs is the best imo, as it allows you to see the fish before buying it, or buying straight from Ora, biota, etc.
Petco should be a last resort if it’s the only place to find what you are looking for.

OP
OP
rainsong

rainsong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ora fish from Liveaquaria go to the liveaquaria facility, where they will be guaranteed to get sick...I did not have a good LA experience.
Lfs is the best imo, as it allows you to see the fish before buying it, or buying straight from Ora, biota, etc.
Petco should be a last resort if it’s the only place to find what you are looking for.
I emailed Liveaquaria to find out and here is their response:
--------
Thank you for your email. Yes, the ORA clownfish as long as you pick them for that area on our website will be shipped from their facility. If you are in the Diver's Den and choose an ORA item it is located here in Wisconsin and will ship from here.
---------
I have decided to make the purchase for a couple of ORA clownfish through Liveaquaria.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out drreefsquarantinedfish.com if you're looking for a reputable online dealer of pre-quarantined fish

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I emailed Liveaquaria to find out and here is their response:
--------
Thank you for your email. Yes, the ORA clownfish as long as you pick them for that area on our website will be shipped from their facility. If you are in the Diver's Den and choose an ORA item it is located here in Wisconsin and will ship from here.
---------
I have decided to make the purchase for a couple of ORA clownfish through Liveaquaria.
Hmm, always thought they went to LA first. Should hopefully be nice and healthy then!

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 21 35.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back