Ca+ and Alk Test/result Question

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for checking in.

Haven't tested Alk in a month...i use Salifert...before id get readings of 8-8.4...this evening (after doing a 20% water change) my Alk was 10.2 Eeeeek...

Tested calcium for the first time...using Red Sea...here's my test question (I also watched their YouTube vid)...when i draw up the 1mL titration agent...there is only 0.8mL of fluid...0.2 of air?! When I complete the test with 0.8...im using the whole syringe...which would give me a reading of 500!!! Zoinks!? If I add the remaining 0.2 (in addition) to equal 1 full mL the reading is 460...so confusion lol...

As for whats in my tank...got 3 zoa frags...an Acan frag...a mushroom...a toadstool...2 clowns...a goby...and a few snails and hermits...

0 ammonia
Nitrates - 10
Temp 77.4

Thanks for reading...

Rob

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prob also run an Mg test and attempt to revisit dosing and a water change to get to appropriate levels.

Still test when you run a dose, just less, but prob a twice weekly dkh and Ca test even while dosing, Mg, less frequent, but I test after water changes unless you have nems or something that takes it up quicker.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would prob also run an Mg test and attempt to revisit dosing and a water change to get to appropriate levels.

Still test when you run a dose, just less, but prob a twice weekly dkh and Ca test even while dosing, Mg, less frequent, but I test after water changes unless you have nems or something that takes it up quicker.

Never dosed anything into the tank before...little nervous about doing that lol...i need to investigate what to dose for what and how much...just a little shocked at those levels...i habe always had good parameters...especially for Dkh...i tested that for weeks upon weeks...and let it slide for a while...

If I DO need to dose the tank to bring Ca down and dkh down...what do i use :S

Im gonna test again tomorrow...let things settle...im hoping its cuz i just did a 20% change...and tested a few hours after...

I'll also test the a sample of the saltwater itself...see what readings I get.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also just found the #RandyHolmes encyclopedia info on chemistry for beginners on a thread lol gonna read that over the next few days and test test test...

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing 2 part is nothing to be nervous about. BRS has videos. Guestimate water volume (less for rock), use their calc, then dose half what calculator says and re-measure a couple hours later.

DO not put anything in your tank to lower CA. BS on that. Water change with a salt mixed to maybe 34 and retest.

Doing something new or different might make you a better reefer. Don't have anxiety about it.

Mix your salt using a gram scale. Don't freaking count half cups. I get a +- of about 15-20% when cupping. I use red sea blue and mix 3.3 lbs to 10 g for 35.+.

Learn your salt, different salts have different ca, dkh, mg.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Classic read.

I use Kent salt mix...i think thats why my Ca++ is so dang high!!! I dont have any SPS to suck out all that calcium...maybe my problem is I need to switch salt? Gonna test some freshly mixed water in the am and see.

Alk 10.9 ok tho?

Screenshot_20200730-232109_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing 2 part is nothing to be nervous about. BRS has videos. Guestimate water volume (less for rock), use their calc, then dose half what calculator says and re-measure a couple hours later.

DO not put anything in your tank to lower CA. crap on that. Water change with a salt mixed to maybe 34 and retest.

Doing something new or different might make you a better reefer. Don't have anxiety about it.

Mix your salt using a gram scale. Don't freaking count half cups. I get a +- of about 15-20% when cupping. I use red sea blue and mix 3.3 lbs to 10 g for 35.+.

Learn your salt, different salts have different ca, dkh, mg.

Thanks Bro. Im that 1/2 cup guy lol
Was gonna get a new frag tomorrow until I got those readings...gonna talk salt too

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bro. Im that 1/2 cup guy lol
Was gonna get a new frag tomorrow until I got those readings...gonna talk salt too

Get a big butt red monti cap, it will suck down the ca. No, I would not freak at your readings, just mix 2 part (what I use from BRS btw) store in bottles, and dose to your desired level.

Very important to get Mg above 1200 before moving dkh or Ca. But once its there you will check monthly.

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, some salts have higher alk, the salt i use mixes to like 8.3 the way I mix it. Kent might work for water changes if you test your levels and monitor what's going on. you need to know your dkh take-up over a 3-4 day normal period of not adding anything to your tank. Once you know that, you can dose appropriate.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested calcium for the first time...using Red Sea...here's my test question (I also watched their YouTube vid)...when i draw up the 1mL titration agent...there is only 0.8mL of fluid...0.2 of air?! When I complete the test with 0.8...im using the whole syringe...which would give me a reading of 500!!! Zoinks!? If I add the remaining 0.2 (in addition) to equal 1 full mL the reading is 460...so confusion lol...

Ignore the bit of air in the syringe. The tip holds some of the fluid that isn't in the syringe. Draw the syringe up to the end mark and then titrate. Where the syringe finishes is how much fluid you used. So yes, if you use the whole syringe then it is a full 1ml because the tip holds .2.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, some salts have higher alk, the salt i use mixes to like 8.3 the way I mix it. Kent might work for water changes if you test your levels and monitor what's going on. you need to know your dkh take-up over a 3-4 day normal period of not adding anything to your tank. Once you know that, you can dose appropriate.

Yeah gonna monitor my tank levels more closely now. Don't have a mag test yet lol soon ill have my own lab lol...thanks for the info...

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a big butt red monti cap, it will suck down the ca. No, I would not freak at your readings, just mix 2 part (what I use from BRS btw) store in bottles, and dose to your desired level.

Very important to get Mg above 1200 before moving dkh or Ca. But once its there you will check monthly.

Sorry...mix 2 part of what...lol

neiltus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
google BRS 2 part and watch the video to learn. "2 part" is a generic reference to anyone who mixes and doses 3 chemicals. It's referred to 2 part bc with the proper salt you don't have to dose Mg and the term never changed. It's not like 2 part epoxy.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
google BRS 2 part and watch the video to learn. "2 part" is a generic reference to anyone who mixes and doses 3 chemicals. It's referred to 2 part bc with the proper salt you don't have to dose Mg and the term never changed. It's not like 2 part epoxy.

Ok yeah I remember watching that tutorial. Right now I only wanna stick to simple stuff..like clowns and softies...lol NEW-BIE

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never dosed anything into the tank before...little nervous about doing that lol...i need to investigate what to dose for what and how much...just a little shocked at those levels...i habe always had good parameters...especially for Dkh...i tested that for weeks upon weeks...and let it slide for a while...

If I DO need to dose the tank to bring Ca down and dkh down...what do i use :S

Im gonna test again tomorrow...let things settle...im hoping its cuz i just did a 20% change...and tested a few hours after...

I'll also test the a sample of the saltwater itself...see what readings I get.

You dont need to dose that tank because theres nothing consuming calcium. Anybody that tells you to dose that light coral load needs to stop giving reef advice.

Alk testing....maybe. Otherwise a 20% water change every two weeks is more than sufficient for that tank. BRS will push dosing for turtle ponds if they can make money.

You are problem misreading calcium or your test kit is wrong.

Some salt mixes like Reef Crystal's will mix calcium in the low 400s. Again, theres no problem with this. Some salt mixes will test high dKH, but I've never seen a salt mix test calcium over the low 400s. Otherwise this is a classic solution in search of a problem kind of thing and i personally think you are testing for no reason. Stick to regular water changes with that light coral load.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted above, you always ignore any air in the syringe. DO not try to remove it. Volume is determined by the movement of the end of the plunger, regardless of how much air you see. The syringe need not actually be showing any liquid to work perfectly.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dont need to dose that tank because theres nothing consuming calcium. Anybody that tells you to dose that light coral load needs to stop giving reef advice.

Alk testing....maybe. Otherwise a 20% water change every two weeks is more than sufficient for that tank. BRS will push dosing for turtle ponds if they can make money.

You are problem misreading calcium or your test kit is wrong.

Some salt mixes like Reef Crystal's will mix calcium in the low 400s. Again, theres no problem with this. Some salt mixes will test high dKH, but I've never seen a salt mix test calcium over the low 400s. Otherwise this is a classic solution in search of a problem kind of thing and i personally think you are testing for no reason. Stick to regular water changes with that light coral load.

Thanks for responding guys. As shown above, the salt mix i use doses high calcium...and probably alk as well....i just got a calcium kit but weird how my all levels were showing high 8s or low 9s for months.

As a beginner, im looking to run a tank with low maintance stuff just to give me time to get my feet wet...hence all the softies and a minimal lps.

OP
OP
RobertTheNurse

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As noted above, you always ignore any air in the syringe. DO not try to remove it. Volume is determined by the movement of the end of the plunger, regardless of how much air you see. The syringe need not actually be showing any liquid to work perfectly.
Thanks. I've bookmarked your lovely posts to read! Very informative.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Save your self a lot of frustration and buy hannah checkers.

Yes they are $50 to start but you won't deal with those frustrating syringes and color charts.

I would also switch salts....there are a lot of good brands. I've noticed a lot of shops use fritz blue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 15 6.7%
Back