confusing test results from instant ocean

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting serious on testing and am confused by these results, any input?

1g Instant Ocean salt: ALK 10-10.2, Calcium 375
Tank: I do a 2-3g change weekly and hover ALK around 8 after WC, Calcium tested 350 (I tested twice back-to-back and even used the Aquaforest reference solution which was spot on).

Even with large WC in the past the highest ALK I ever measured was 8.8-8.9. I'm not sure which ALK I should "target" any isn't calcium low?

I'm debating dosing TM All For Reef. My coral are "happy," all LPS but more flesh growth than skeleton

Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes cannot maintain alk at the salt mix level if there is any significant demand, but 8 dKH is plenty.

The calcium may be low due to low salinity or testing errors, but if you want to boost it, AFR is not the product to use since it will boost alk too high. Use calcium chloride for that purpose.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME the only time alk stays at new salt mix level is a tank with nothing consuming. I set up a new tank 3/12 alk was 10.7. Tested yesterday and it's still 10.7. No coral and no lights running. 3 other tanks running using the same salt mix ( IO and RC mixed) alk runs 8-9 dosing 2 part on one, AFR on one and kalk on the third.

OP
OP
D

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes cannot maintain alk at the salt mix level if there is any significant demand, but 8 dKH is plenty.

The calcium may be low due to low salinity or testing errors, but if you want to boost it, AFR is not the product to use since it will boost alk too high. Use calcium chloride for that purpose.
Thanks Randy. I use a HM hydrometer so I'm confident I'm at 1.026. Disappointed the salt mix has such low calcium.

OP
OP
D

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a slight testing error on my side for Ca and Mg but I resolved this. My tank was around 375 after correction and now at 420ppm. Mg 1425, No3 7.1, Po4 0.08, dkH 8.6.

I have been dosing Neonitro here and there. I noticed my PO4 consumption really went up, so I started dosing NeoPhos and went from 0.01 back to 0.08. The next day I was back at 0.00-0.01 (ran the Hanna tester twice to confirm). Dosed more NeoPhos and got back to 0.08.

Is this expected? When I use Reef-Riods my PO4 jumps by 0.10 and slowly goes down. I'm going to test again today, but if my PO4 is back to 0.01 is NeoPhos being better absorbed since it's depleting faster? Debating if I should switch back to Reef-Riods?

Thanks!

OP
OP
D

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 tested again today at 0.01. The NeoPhos is being consumed from 0.08 to 0.01 in one day...

OP
OP
D

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, when trying to raise phosphate, some of each dose will bind to rock and sand surfaces and drive the concentration back toward the starting point.
Thanks Randy! My tank is bare bottom, no fish with minimum rock.

Do you recommend I keep dosing liquid daily until it stabilizes or should I switch to feeding reef-roids once in a while to keep it up?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back