Over 1 year in and still having parameter issues...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The projection is just simple addition. I had no idea what the consumption really was. The plot was actually and attempt to understand it.

Thanks for the advice. My plan was to stop dosing today and to see how fast the nitrates fall. It's comforting to know you feel the same.

Keep us updated what happens. :)

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last nights readings. 7.3 Nitrate and 0.05 Phosphate
Going to dial back doses now and find consumption rate, then I guess it will be time to stabilize alk and cal :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last nights readings. 7.3 Nitrate and 0.05 Phosphate
Going to dial back doses now and find consumption rate, then I guess it will be time to stabilize alk and cal :)

Sounds good. :)

mjw011689

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, most people only need to dose alk and cal. Like Randy mentioned earlier, the amount of mag used compared to the other 2 is usually pretty minimal.

lately I’m more a fan of all for reef from tropic Marin. It doses all 3 in one bottle, and they all seem to stay pretty consistent for me when I dose that.

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct, most people only need to dose alk and cal. Like Randy mentioned earlier, the amount of mag used compared to the other 2 is usually pretty minimal.
lately I’m more a fan of all for reef from tropic Marin. It doses all 3 in one bottle, and they all seem to stay pretty consistent for me when I dose that.

I have All for reef but I read that I should get my desired levels first. I’ve been dosing to get my alk up then I’m going to use AFR. Currently at 8.4 alk going to push for around 11 cause my salt mixes there.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CallMeLloyd I'm curious to know what your nitrate consumption is going to be. I stopped dosing once my nitrates got to about 10ppm last week. I tested again today and they were already at 3.5ppm.

I'm not sure where the nitrates are going. I have a GSP colony that has been growing quite a bit, but no other coral. There isn't much algae growing in the tank right now, but I do have some brown stuff growing on the back wall that I scrub off about once a week.

I'm running my skimmer still, but it doesn't pull nitrates out of the water, right? My understanding is that it pulls solids out before they can break down and create nitrates.

Here's a FTS from this morning:
PXL_20231212_150051355.jpg

OP
OP
CallMeLloyd

CallMeLloyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@CallMeLloyd I'm curious to know what your nitrate consumption is going to be. I stopped dosing once my nitrates got to about 10ppm last week. I tested again today and they were already at 3.5ppm.

I'm not sure where the nitrates are going. I have a GSP colony that has been growing quite a bit, but no other coral. There isn't much algae growing in the tank right now, but I do have some brown stuff growing on the back wall that I scrub off about once a week.

I'm running my skimmer still, but it doesn't pull nitrates out of the water, right? My understanding is that it pulls solids out before they can break down and create nitrates.

PXL_20231212_150051355.jpg

My Nitrates have been going down pretty quick if I don't dose. I’ve been dosing daily nitrates and phosphates. On 12/6 I hit 9.4 Nitrates the next day I tested and had 3.7, so I started dosing again. My phosphates keep going from 0.00-0.03 back and forth so I'm slowly upping that dose. That is correct about the skimmer from what I have read. I've only been in the hobby about 2 years and have never ran a skimmer so I cant speak from experience. And honestly as long as I'm having to dose nutrients I'm not sure I should run a skimmer. If I am wrong someone please let me know.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any growing photosynthetic organism, denitrification in the rock and sand, etc. That change does not particularly surprise me, but it could also be partly or completely test error.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back