Ca and Mg Question

QuarantineReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just tested my tanks Ca and Mg levels for the first time tonight. It's currently cycling (just in case that changes things) but from what I am seeing it's just about cycled. I tested my Ca at 380 and my Mg at 1215. I found a chart somewhere on here I think that says those numbers fall in the recommended range. But they are at the absolute lowest end of the range. So I guess I was just curious if these will be okay or do I need to try to bump them up a bit so that they are more in the middle of the range from the chart I found. If the chart is even giving good numbers to go off of.

Here is the chart that I found for reference.

20200323_215815.jpg

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes those are technically low but during the cycling process you shouldn't worry about them. What salt are you using and at what specific gravity are you mixing it to?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are almost done cycling I would get some 2 part, mag, and adjust to the levels you want to run and then keep them their.
Same with alk.

I just looked up rpm.
The ca and mag levels are lower than what they say it should mix at but not that far off.
When running a 1 part salt make sure you mix it up before use. Some settling may have happened.
I would check levels of a new batch.
If they are what rpm mixes at the a couple water chamges will bring them up easy enough.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The values you have now reflect exactly (assuming testing accuracy) the values in the salt mix at that salinity.

What salinity do you think it is? It may just be low.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The values you have now reflect exactly (assuming testing accuracy) the values in the salt mix at that salinity.

What salinity do you think it is? It may just be low.
He mentioned it was mixed to 1.026.
Not sure if it was tested or assumed.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He mentioned it was mixed to 1.026.
Not sure if it was tested or assumed.

Oh, I see yes. It may be lower than he thinks, or the Salt mix is off (less likely).

OP
OP
QuarantineReefer

QuarantineReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I test daily just to kind of give my self something to do during the cycle period and the salinity fluctuates between 1.025 and 1.026 on my refractometer. I just bought the refractometer from my LFS when I mixed the first batch to start the tank. They didnt have any calibration fluid so on that end I am kind of at the mercy of wherever it was set from the factory. Sorry for the slow responses on my end, been a busy work day. Thanks for all your guys help!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I test daily just to kind of give my self something to do during the cycle period and the salinity fluctuates between 1.025 and 1.026 on my refractometer. I just bought the refractometer from my LFS when I mixed the first batch to start the tank. They didnt have any calibration fluid so on that end I am kind of at the mercy of wherever it was set from the factory. Sorry for the slow responses on my end, been a busy work day. Thanks for all your guys help!

Calibration with RO/DI is likely to be a lot better than factory random. lol

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also probably worth mentioning that temperature can affect salinity readings. I'd highly recommend getting some calibration solution in near future. Two Little Fishies sells a product called AccuraSea that is actually bottle sea water and can be used as a calibration solution for salinity, as well as calcium, alkalinity, magnesium, etc...

OP
OP
QuarantineReefer

QuarantineReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I will get some of that solution coming. I did try to RO/DI water I got from the LFS and it read dead on zero. So for the time being until I can get solution hopefully that's close enough for a semi accurate salinity reading?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back