Ca Nitrate or Aminos to keep nitrates up?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates have been around 0.16ppm for a while now, but nitrates keep bottoming out. I was dosing NeoNitro but ran out. Bought a bottle of Acropower aminos, thinking that they can help nitrates while not contributing to phosphates. I already feed a lot, so no need for more. Lately with the 2-4mL aminos per day in a 40gal (~30gal water), I'm getting film algae on the glass about twice as fast as before.

So I am looking at Loudwolf Ca Nitrate as an alternative:
1692772865695.png

Are there any pros/cons for dosing Ca Nitrate vs. Aminos to try and bring NO3 up? Thanks!

P.s., if I buy Ca Nitrate, anyone have calculations for converting grams diluted in ___ volume to ppm? I'll run calcs, but always nice to see I'm not off by a factor of a million :)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphates have been around 0.16ppm for a while now, but nitrates keep bottoming out. I was dosing NeoNitro but ran out. Bought a bottle of Acropower aminos, thinking that they can help nitrates while not contributing to phosphates. I already feed a lot, so no need for more. Lately with the 2-4mL aminos per day in a 40gal (~30gal water), I'm getting film algae on the glass about twice as fast as before.

So I am looking at Loudwolf Ca Nitrate as an alternative:
1692772865695.png

Are there any pros/cons for dosing Ca Nitrate vs. Aminos to try and bring NO3 up? Thanks!

P.s., if I buy Ca Nitrate, anyone have calculations for converting grams diluted in ___ volume to ppm? I'll run calcs, but always nice to see I'm not off by a factor of a million :)
They are two different things.

If you need in increase Nitrate the best of the alternatives available is Calcium Nitrate.

The coral may or may not benefit from an Amino acid supplement - I don't believe there is much proven science either way

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are two different things.

If you need in increase Nitrate the best of the alternatives available is Calcium Nitrate.

The coral may or may not benefit from an Amino acid supplement - I don't believe there is much proven science either way
Thanks! I also find the amino supplement a bit questionable, but figure they could at least break down into more nitrates since I'm not running a skimmer.

However... I'm planning to add a skimmer in the next few weeks. Do you know if aminos get taken away by the skimmer? How about the Ca Nitrate? Does that get skimmed away, or is it only larger molecules? Going ahead with an order of the Ca Nitrate.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back