Ca reactor media and potency of effluent

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am about to set up a Ca reactor along side a 2 part auto doser. I wish to slowly reduce the 2 part while increasing the amount of Ca/Alk replenished to the tank via the new reactor. So the one thing I'm not clear on is how or if the amount of media in the Ca reactor affects the concentration of Ca / Alk in the effluent. My reactor is quite large, rated for 300 gallons and my system is about 200 gallons total. I'm wondering if by filling the reactor to the usual 2-3" from the top would the one drip per second common starting dosage already be too concentrated due to the large amount of media in the reactor? should I fill it only half full of media? I don't want to spike Alk , preferably by daily testing increase the drip rate to get it up to, and not overshoot my usual 7.8 DKH, Thank you for your help.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has a nice video on effluent concentrations based on types and pH. I think BRS has a calculator too on their website that you can dial in the CaRx and two part.

As i transitioned, i cut my two part in half, set a high melt point and low flow and made an adjustment about every other day on the Ca Rx to stabilize the Alk. Once stabilized, i would adjust the two part down a bit more and increase flow on Ca Rx. Rinse and repeat. I tested Alk more frequently during this process just to keep an eye on things.

OP
OP
kevensquint

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that makes sense. But the part of my question that confuses me is if the actual amount of media will affect the concentration of Ca/Alk in the effluent. Like a gallon sized reactor full of media vs the same reactor half full of media.

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using the BRS video as a reference when they added the secondary chamber (which would equivalent of adding more media, there was more potent effluent with more media. Albiet it was small, very small. I never ran the test myself.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 55 41.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 66 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 9.0%
Back