Cabbage coral developing holes

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if anyone with more experience with these corals can give me an idea of what might be going on.

I've had this coral for about 9 months now. When it first came to me it had a hole in it and it seems to be getting worse and I see a new hole in another part of the coral. Other than that the coral has about doubled in size. Is it splitting or something else?

All other corals in the tank are doing fine.

Params
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78
Alk: 7.8
Cal: 480
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0.058

Hole now
PXL_20231203_021839603.jpg

PXL_20231203_021807925.jpg

And what it was like when I got it
PXL_20230331_180437205.jpg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wonder if it could be "fragging itself". . . possibly by design or by accident (due to placement, flow, jagged rock work?) I know that other soft corals can do this, mushrooms through pedal laceration and kenya trees by dropping branches. . .

Perhaps as the cabbage "leaves" get heavy enough the weight pulls them off then they can go wherever the current takes them. . .

just guessing. . .

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it could be "fragging itself". . . possibly by design or by accident (due to placement, flow, jagged rock work?) I know that other soft corals can do this, mushrooms through pedal laceration and kenya trees by dropping branches. . .

Perhaps as the cabbage "leaves" get heavy enough the weight pulls them off then they can go wherever the current takes them. . .

just guessing. . .
It could be splitting. That was my original thought, but the holes are kind of in the middle of the coral and oddly perfectly round. I did find a toadstool frag today, maybe I will have another cabbage coral too.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 31 35.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back