Cake Tank and Reef-pi Build

denniscahill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start documenting my build here.

20 gallon display with a 10 gallon sump sitting on a DIY stand.

Pictures to follow. Need to learn how to filter out the blue.....

Going to use Reef-pi to monitor 3 temps (tank, sump, and ambient), control ATO, and 2x dosing pumps. I will also probably add 2x heaters and pH in the future.

More to come.

Cake

OP
OP
D

denniscahill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full Stand view.
fulltank.jpg

I will figure out how to filter out the blue and get better pictures of the tank, as well as copy all of the equipment specifics in a future post.

Built the stand myself over about 10 days. Bottom of the tank sits at about 48 inches off the floor.

It is still a mess on the bottom, need to organize all of the extra stuff down there. Will most likely build another storage box to put on the left of the tank. I also need to start building an enclosure for all of the reef-pi equipment.

OP
OP
D

denniscahill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the sump. Need to fix the bubble trap, I put all three pieces of glass at the same height... might just add a piece of tubing onto the top of the middle piece to raise this height about 1/2 inch or so.
sump.jpg

Also going to get rid of the blue bioballs and add some more rubble to the chamber to the left of the sock.

OP
OP
D

denniscahill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a close up of the display. Sitting empty of life for now, working a lot and do not have time to add the first fish. It has been cycling (fishless) for about 9 weeks now and all of my test results support the addition of the first fish or two. Still need to get my nitrates down a bit, but that is a matter of time and water changes.

display.jpg

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your time, decide what all you want to control. If you are not very techically inclined, there are some good reef pi hats for your raspberry pi that are a big shortcut ton a working build. @theatrus @Michael Lane and @wykat all make a good hat that saves money and time!
Post a build thread and you will get alot of helpful advice as well

OP
OP
D

denniscahill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have received most of the parts to make my Reef-pi and started the configuration and testing phase.

Everything is going well except for the notifications settings.

Albuquerque is stuck with Comcast for high-speed internet and I can't get the e-mail notification settings to work.

I have entered smtp.comcast.net as the e-mail server, used their suggested ports and nothing works.

I sometimes get a wierd error from reef-pi that appears that the pi is trying to use dial-up to access the net. I will capture that and post it later tonight.

Does anybody have comcast notifications working? and how did you do it?

Is it something to do with an app password similar to what gmail requires?

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have received most of the parts to make my Reef-pi and started the configuration and testing phase.

Everything is going well except for the notifications settings.

Albuquerque is stuck with Comcast for high-speed internet and I can't get the e-mail notification settings to work.

I have entered smtp.comcast.net as the e-mail server, used their suggested ports and nothing works.

I sometimes get a wierd error from reef-pi that appears that the pi is trying to use dial-up to access the net. I will capture that and post it later tonight.

Does anybody have comcast notifications working? and how did you do it?

Is it something to do with an app password similar to what gmail requires?

Is this Xfinity Comcast or just Comcast email? Do you know if you have IMAP or POP? What ports are you using/have tried?

OP
OP
D

denniscahill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, at work now but going to do some fabrication/testing later this evening.

I think I remember reading somewhere in the 550+page thread that there are a few pins that are reserved for one use only. Anybody remember what pins (gpio) are specifically reserved in Reef-Pi?

I plan to control 8 outlets, 3 temp probes, 2 dosing pumps, and a pH probe when my reef-pi is complete.

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, at work now but going to do some fabrication/testing later this evening.

I think I remember reading somewhere in the 550+page thread that there are a few pins that are reserved for one use only. Anybody remember what pins (gpio) are specifically reserved in Reef-Pi?

I plan to control 8 outlets, 3 temp probes, 2 dosing pumps, and a pH probe when my reef-pi is complete.
Not sure about reserved pins other than the SDA SCL pins which have to be used for things which use SDA SCL like the PH board and the PCA9685.

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should also leave the 1 wire pin (gpio 4 or pin 7) open in order to add temperature sensors.

OP
OP
D

denniscahill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, A little update.

First off, I am terrible at remembering to take pictures while I am working, so I do not have photos of my progress.

I spent about 5 hours tinkering and had a blast!! I now have my hat all set up to control 8 outlets ( with a caveat discussed later) and 3 temp probes.

I was able to get all three probes up and running.... for about 8 hours then nothing. My pi will not read temps. All 3 probes are reporting 32 degrees and I know my house is not that cold. I tried a reboot and no change.
Next step was to delete the probes and start over. I think I am missing a step and need to go back and delete the reef-pi database because Reef-pi is not recognizing any of my temp probes. I went to the Adafruit page for trouble shooting the temp probes, and I do have that line of code in my config.txt. I am using
Waterproof DS18B20 Digital temperature sensors.

I think I might have some loose connections. I need to get a solder sucker so I can remove the pins from my hat that connect the temp probes and re-do those. Some of the pins are a little canted and might not be letting me get a good connection. Adafruit here I come...

By the way, I fugured that if black spray paint is reef safe on my PVC drain pipes after it is cured, 3 coats of black spray paint on my temp probes should be ok to ptotect the metal from rusting.

So, I need to toss out a few questions to some folks with concepts I want to add to my build that I see in yours.

@ScottBrew how exactly did you wire your power display into your system. It looks like it needs to be tied into the main power supply. Any advice would be appreciated.

@AquaRaider44 I really like your all-in-one concept and am trying to do the same. I would like to know more about how you are powering your entire system. How many power adaptors do you use? How is your system wired?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I am a bit confused on how to power my relays and outlets.

Thanks all for the advise and help.

@Ranjib thank you for taking the time and effor to make Reef-Pi.

Cake

AquaRaider44

#Reef4Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, A little update.

First off, I am terrible at remembering to take pictures while I am working, so I do not have photos of my progress.

I spent about 5 hours tinkering and had a blast!! I now have my hat all set up to control 8 outlets ( with a caveat discussed later) and 3 temp probes.

I was able to get all three probes up and running.... for about 8 hours then nothing. My pi will not read temps. All 3 probes are reporting 32 degrees and I know my house is not that cold. I tried a reboot and no change.
Next step was to delete the probes and start over. I think I am missing a step and need to go back and delete the reef-pi database because Reef-pi is not recognizing any of my temp probes. I went to the Adafruit page for trouble shooting the temp probes, and I do have that line of code in my config.txt. I am using
Waterproof DS18B20 Digital temperature sensors.

I think I might have some loose connections. I need to get a solder sucker so I can remove the pins from my hat that connect the temp probes and re-do those. Some of the pins are a little canted and might not be letting me get a good connection. Adafruit here I come...

By the way, I fugured that if black spray paint is reef safe on my PVC drain pipes after it is cured, 3 coats of black spray paint on my temp probes should be ok to ptotect the metal from rusting.

So, I need to toss out a few questions to some folks with concepts I want to add to my build that I see in yours.

@ScottBrew how exactly did you wire your power display into your system. It looks like it needs to be tied into the main power supply. Any advice would be appreciated.

@AquaRaider44 I really like your all-in-one concept and am trying to do the same. I would like to know more about how you are powering your entire system. How many power adaptors do you use? How is your system wired?

Sorry to be asking so many questions, but I am a bit confused on how to power my relays and outlets.

Thanks all for the advise and help.

@Ranjib thank you for taking the time and effor to make Reef-Pi.

Cake
Hello I am glad you are interested check out my build thread as I have every part linked to the ones I bought. I use https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071VPGK6R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for 12v 4a of power and everything splits off from there. I have many pictures of my setup on my thread. I use https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GJ0SC2C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to step down to 5v for most of the stuff. I used a 5v relay module but wish I went with a 12v like suggested as the 5v one puts a lot of stress on the buck converter when everything is switched.

If you have any questions on spacifics please post on my build thread!

OP
OP
D

denniscahill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,

Spent some time tinkering. I did have some loose connections with one of my temp probes that caused everything to read 32 degrees. Fixed that and now everything is going just fine.

I have decided to downsize a bit and only have 2 switched outlets instead of 8. I will use those to control a heater and a spare outlet for expansion.

My lights have an internal timer and my return pump has a feeding mode, so no need to have outlest dedicated to stopping/controling those.

I am looking for a very high quality relay. Suggestions appreciated.

Does anybody know if any company makes a full sized perma-proto board with the full 40-pin breakout? Adafruit only has a half-sized board. I would like to have the extra room to space things out.

Cake

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,

Spent some time tinkering. I did have some loose connections with one of my temp probes that caused everything to read 32 degrees. Fixed that and now everything is going just fine.

I have decided to downsize a bit and only have 2 switched outlets instead of 8. I will use those to control a heater and a spare outlet for expansion.

My lights have an internal timer and my return pump has a feeding mode, so no need to have outlest dedicated to stopping/controling those.

Does anybody know if any company makes a full sized perma-proto board with the full 40-pin breakout? Adafruit only has a half-sized board. I would like to have the extra room to space things out.

Cake
None that I’m aware of. Checkout gikfun , but I am doubtful.
What kinda payload you want to run on the relay ? Most mechanical relays (sonoff ) are ok , and rated for 10-15amp, solid state relays can withstand more on/off but generally rated for lower current. Triacs are another option, but I have never used them

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,

Cake
What kind of load are you switching with the relay. I need to know that before making a suggestion.

OP
OP
D

denniscahill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of load are you switching with the relay. I need to know that before making a suggestion.

All I plan to control is a titanium heating element (300 WATT TH HEATING ELEMENT from BRS). My lights have a timer internal to them and my return pump has its own feeding mode, so ne need to switch either of them.

Bigtrout

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A heater is a nice resistive load, so not very hard on relays. So pretty much any relay with an adequate rating will do. 300 watts divided by voltage(ill assume 120v) is 2.5 amps. I like to oversize a relay by a factor of 2 so that relay life is alot longer, so any relay with contacts rated at 5 amps should be good, with a coil voltage that corresponds with the dc voltage you are using to control relays.
Since you are using only one, id get a socketed relay, then if it fails, plop another into the socket and no having to take apart wiring, etc.

OP
OP
D

denniscahill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a new error and can't access my reef-pi.

sudo systemctl status reef-pi.service
● reef-pi.service - raspberry pi based reef tank controller
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/reef-pi.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2019-08-06 16:36:30 MDT; 5s ago
Process: 5202 ExecStart=/usr/bin/reef-pi daemon -config /etc/reef-pi/config.yml (code=exited, st
Main PID: 5202 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Aug 06 16:36:30 cakereefpi systemd[1]: reef-pi.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1
Aug 06 16:36:30 cakereefpi systemd[1]: reef-pi.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 06 16:36:30 cakereefpi systemd[1]: reef-pi.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
lines 1-9/9 (END)

Any ideas? @Ranjib

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a new error and can't access my reef-pi.

sudo systemctl status reef-pi.service
● reef-pi.service - raspberry pi based reef tank controller
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/reef-pi.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2019-08-06 16:36:30 MDT; 5s ago
Process: 5202 ExecStart=/usr/bin/reef-pi daemon -config /etc/reef-pi/config.yml (code=exited, st
Main PID: 5202 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Aug 06 16:36:30 cakereefpi systemd[1]: reef-pi.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1
Aug 06 16:36:30 cakereefpi systemd[1]: reef-pi.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug 06 16:36:30 cakereefpi systemd[1]: reef-pi.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
lines 1-9/9 (END)

Any ideas? @Ranjib
Can you run
Code:
journalctl -u reef-pi.service
and share the content here, it should have details on why exactly reef-pi is not running

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back