cal and alk levels w/o dosing

bonomo53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Have a 57 gallon stock with mostly sps but also have some lps and softies it has only been up for around 3 months but its pretty well stock cause it was a transfer from my old tank. ive been testing my levels every week and ive noticed that my cal and alk have been near perfect or sometimes slightly high without me dosing anything . iam using coral life salt which is pretty high in ca and alk. i was just wondering if this is normal and will i eventually have to dose. i try to do a 5 gallon water change every week or two.. i also noticed that i have alot of white specs in my water that are not micro bubbles can this been from the high levels in the salt

Last edited:

antdizzle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like precipatation of ca, which means your ca has reached its maximum saturation point and its now coming out of solution which tends to create a "snowing" effect.

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its normal. An sps dominated tank should be using more ca and alk than can be supplied with weekly 10 percent water changes. The fact that your tank is new and you probably have little growth and little coraline algae yet may be why. Your phosphates may be high and also inhibiting growth. Your frags may be so small that they just arent using much yet. Inaccurate tests. A lot of different possibilities. In my 80 sps dominated i would have alk drop 2 dkh a day without supplementing.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%

Back