Calc reactor / tunze ATO setup

thisissimple

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Location
Los Angeles
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am setting up a calcium reactor. I traditionally have just used Kalk with my Tunze ATO, (using the tunze kalk reservoir system) but was wondering if anyone had tried hooking up the tunze pump to feed a reactor? I have doubts about its strength, and the ability to moderate the pH hooking it up like this.

I will probably end up putting this on a controller, and running a separate pump, but if I could run it off the TO pump, it would reduce my in-sump clutter a bit.

think this is feasible? has anyone hooked it up this way? I'd rather not repeat any one elses mistakes...

thanks in advance.
 
Hmm... I would think it'll depend a lot on the size of your tank, the size of your calcium reactor, your calcium / alkalinity demand, and how much water you evaporate per day / how frequently the ATO pump runs. I've not done what you're describing myself, but I could see it potentially working. My reactor output is a constant drip, but a small stream every so often doesn't sound unfavorable, as long as there's adequate volume for it to mix with in your sump. If it can work you may actually use less CO2, since the RO/DI water will be at a lower pH compared to the tank's water.

Interesting idea... I'll keep an eye on what others have to say about it.
 
Are you planning to run your topoff RO water through the calcium reactor? If so, that won't work. You want water from the aquarium running through the calcium reactor, not RO.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new