Calcium 851 alk 8.43 - what to do from here

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In March my 210 gallon reef tank had an overflow that took out some electronics (Radion power supplies, EB 832, etc.). I got married in November and decided to keep the tank after all and have the radion lights working now (was running on a two bulb t5 retrofit. The only things left were my clownfish, yellow watchman goby and some zoas. My trident had to be sent back and the replacement was sitting there waiting, so I connected it. My alk was 7.38 and calcium was 729. I had automatically started dosing kalk again when I saw the alk dropping and the calcium has shot up over the past few days, now at 851 with an all of 8.43. I realize I shouldn’t have started the kalk back up and have stopped that for now and am seeking advice. I did a 34 gallon water change yesterday and didn’t see any benefit (Tropic Marin pro reef). Do I start dosing 2 part with only alk or buy another 34 gallon brute and do a 68 gallon water change, or something else? I just want to get things back the way they should be so I can start building back the tank.

OP
OP
ShepherdTech

ShepherdTech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you certain the calcium measurement is correct? How would it get that high? No amount of kalkwasser can do that.

Try the test on some
Are you certain the calcium measurement is correct? How would it get that high? No amount of kalkwasser can do that.

Try the test on some new salt water.
I tested with the Hannah and it’s 509. Sorry about the false alarm. I reached out to Neptune for support. Thanks!!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back