Calcium and alk supplement?

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I recently got seachem calcium dosing mix and am using baking soda for alk. Whenever I combined them in my gallon jug I waited a few minutes and tested. My alk and calcium were perfect! They were at 400 and 9. How is this possible? Why didn’t they both just precipitate out? Hey I’ve been dosing with it and it’s kept my tank steady so I know it didn’t precipitate out. How is this possible?

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mixed them outside the tank, they will precipitate and those numbers are very low for an additive.

What would be the ideal numbers for the calcium and alk additives? I have two large sections of organ pipe coral in a 36 bow front. How much of the alk and calcium supplement should I add?

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are precipitating out I don’t know how my tank levels are remaining constantly at 9 alk and 400 calciumwhen I am using the additive for top off. I’m confused.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mixed them outside the tank. It hasn’t precipitated and I’m using as my top off

you made it way to diluted to be useful. As I said in the other thread, start by reading some basic dosing articles.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the ideal numbers for the calcium and alk additives? I have two large sections of organ pipe coral in a 36 bow front. How much of the alk and calcium supplement should I add?

there is no ideal, but there are many recipes. Thousands of dKH and tens of thousands of ppm calcium are the right range.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back