calcium and alk ?

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start with my setup. I've got a gravity feed bucket to float valve in my sump. I pour rodi into the bucket and then put about 1 tsp. of kalk per gallon in there with a powerhead. The float valve finally clogged after about 1.5 years. aka one day i came home and about 8 gallons of kalkwasser went into the tank. I've only lost 3 acro's. ora tri color valida. ora hawkins enchinata, and a random neon green acro that I still have a smaller frag of.

for about 1.5 weeks i've been adding rodi daily. no kalkwasser. I did a 25% water change. I just tested my water after FINALLY getting calc and alk test kits. my calcium is at 500+ and my alk is about 6.1 dKH. i've got some Ocean's blend 2 part.

can I add just the alk part to raise that up? or should i add equaly both like the instructions say.

side note...I just ordered a geo 618. it's on back order, but I've got evertyhing else. Just waiting for the reactor to get in and come to me.

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500 seems high. I run mine in this range 380 – 450 ppm I just add Seachem Reef builder to up my alk

OP
OP
M

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to be honest...for the past 2 years i've never tested for alk or calcium. only thing I ever tested for was nitrates and phosphates and that was only if I saw something wrong with the tank. I usually just did a 25% water change once a month and all my topoff is kalk. and baam. everything was good. untill lately, since the float valve gets stuck open and I can't top off kalk. I also just found out my calcium reactor will get here on monday. sooo...I need to do a lot of reading tonight on setting that up...but to my knowledge the water parameters have to be where you want them before setting up the calcium reactor.

if anybody has a link on how to properly setup a calcium reactor, I would LOVE that. otherwise i'll be googling later.

OP
OP
M

macawmagic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
geo 618. reef fanatic guages, solenoid, and controller, 10 lb. tank, and gen-x media. I can't wait to get it setup. I hope my stuff grows faster...although i'm going to need a bigger tank soon, or sadly start getting rid of corals.

bellareef

Reef Alchemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd recommend 380-450 ppm Calcium and 7-11 dKH (2.5-4.0 meq/l) alkalinity. :smile:

sps_fragracks.jpg

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back