Calcium chloride, so many options.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are so many options to pick from to DIY calcium. Which one of these will work? I live in Texas so goin and picking up deicer isn’t a thing especially in the summer. There are also pool supplies that carry calcium chloride but I just don’t know which direction to go.

ADF86A82-E680-42B0-807F-6A3BA8ECFA4A.jpeg B 9296658A-FF92-43CD-A769-C82BB7050629.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i ran into this same issue while making diy 2 parts.

Those options are very expensive for what you get. you might as well buy USP (pharma. Grade) from BRS since its only about $8/gal and its the purest & chespest youll find.

The other option ive used with success is a product at home depot or lowes called damprid.
If you get it in the large fragrance free refill bags, its quite cost effective but i still prefer Brs USP products now after searching day and night for a suitable product.

For 100% true diy cocktails,

Damprid for calcium
Arm & hammer baking soda for alk
Dr teals epsom salts (usp) & dead sea works mag chloride hexahydrate for mag

But the dead sea works mag is super hard to find and usually only available in 50lb bags.
Again why i just order BRS chemicals now :)

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i ran into this same issue while making diy 2 parts.

Those options are very expensive for what you get. you might as well buy USP (pharma. Grade) from BRS since its only about $8/gal and its the purest & chespest youll find.

The other option ive used with success is a product at home depot or lowes called damprid.
If you get it in the large fragrance free refill bags, its quite cost effective but i still prefer Brs USP products now after searching day and night for a suitable product.

For 100% true diy cocktails,

Damprid for calcium
Arm & hammer baking soda for alk
Dr teals epsom salts (usp) & dead sea works mag chloride hexahydrate for mag

But the dead sea works mag is super hard to find and usually only available in 50lb bags.
Again why i just order BRS chemicals now :)
You are awesome!!! Was thinking about doin the BRS chemicals but, I have a nano tank and that’s a butt load of chemical even in their smallest option. Was thinking A&H for alk and I’ll monitor my mag and hopefully maintain that with wc but was confused on which route to take with the calcium. A $10 tub will make 3 gallons of liquid calcium of recipe #1. Is that correct? It contains 1700 grams of calcium chloride. 46A526A4-C417-47F6-9844-899DE58D9E0B.jpeg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are awesome!!! Was thinking about doin the BRS chemicals but, I have a nano tank and that’s a butt load of chemical even in their smallest option. Was thinking A&H for alk and I’ll monitor my mag and hopefully maintain that with wc but was confused on which route to take with the calcium. A $10 tub will make 3 gallons of liquid calcium of recipe #1. Is that correct? It contains 1700 grams of calcium chloride. 46A526A4-C417-47F6-9844-899DE58D9E0B.jpeg
Youre welcome.
Yes that sounds correct. As long as you follow randys recipies.
Also take into account if the product is dihydrate or not for potency....

Btw I think you can buy brs chemicals in 1gal premeasured packets so there is no question for measuring incorrectly.
Then just use their calc on the website.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre welcome.
Yes that sounds correct. As long as you follow randys recipies.
Also take into account if the product is dihydrate or not for potency....

Btw I think you can buy brs chemicals in 1gal premeasured packets so there is no question for measuring incorrectly.
Then just use their calc on the website.
The product is anhydrous so I guess less potent. See, that’s where I’m thrown. Is anhydrous just as good as hydrous? Does this stuff have to be food grade or no? Reason I ask is because I’ve seen pool calcium hardener that fits the bill but isn’t food grade. And I’ve seen food grade calcium chloride that’s anhydrous. That 500mg (1.1lb) bottle of calcium chloride dihydrate is roughly the same price as a pound of the BRS stuff but with free shipping only it’s laboratory grade and not USP. Is there really that big of a difference between the Amazon stuff n the BRS stuff?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry i meant anahydrous is more potent. It means without water. Dihydrate has more water content in it. Its usually anahydrous if it just says calcium chloride.

USP is the most pure vs food grade or lab grade.

The brs stuff is i think 800g.

I would use the USP grade if its only a few dollars more as theres no question as to what youre putting in the tank.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The product is anhydrous so I guess less potent. See, that’s where I’m thrown. Is anhydrous just as good as hydrous? Does this stuff have to be food grade or no? Reason I ask is because I’ve seen pool calcium hardener that fits the bill but isn’t food grade. And I’ve seen food grade calcium chloride that’s anhydrous. That 500mg (1.1lb) bottle of calcium chloride dihydrate is roughly the same price as a pound of the BRS stuff but with free shipping only it’s laboratory grade and not USP. Is there really that big of a difference between the Amazon stuff n the BRS stuff?

Anhydrous means less bound water, so it's "more potent" per weight. If you're using Randy's recipe, you'll need 2 cups or anhydrous to one gallon of RO/DI water. If you have a hydrated calcium chloride (more bound water), you need 2 1/2 cups per gallon. Just take note that anhydrous added to water will get pretty warm. So start shaking as soon as possible after adding to water.

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anhydrous means less bound water, so it's "more potent" per weight. If you're using Randy's recipe, you'll need 2 cups or anhydrous to one gallon of RO/DI water. If you have a hydrated calcium chloride (more bound water), you need 2 1/2 cups per gallon. Just take note that anhydrous added to water will get pretty warm. So start shaking as soon as possible after adding to water.
This is also great to know! Thank you for the clarification!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.... Damprid, really?

I gave up on looking for the CAL part and just buy it from BRS. Arm and Hammer for ALK, BRS for CAL and MAG.

Damprid is just to easy to buy to not consider it. Hmm.....

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm.... Damprid, really?

I gave up on looking for the CAL part and just buy it from BRS. Arm and Hammer for ALK, BRS for CAL and MAG.

Damprid is just to easy to buy to not consider it. Hmm.....
I in no way know what I’m looking at but the MSDS has some stuff that I’m not sure of. Meaning, I have no idea if this is good or not. 40351677-52C1-4FFC-99F2-4E3A47AF3736.jpeg

OP
OP
olonmv

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mr Randy hasn’t chimed in but I did find another forum where he touches on the subject. Not sure if his views have changed since but here were his thoughts on it a few years back. 88627208-542B-44EB-AB32-0B493F48F083.jpeg

Back