Calcium chloride

dtracy1119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up some of this at HD. Says it's 94% calcium chloride. Just like Dowflake. The rest is potassium chloride, magnesium chloride and water. Is this ok to use in a mixed reef tank
20190715_170212.jpeg
20190715_170154.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnesium chloride is OK. I'm less sure of the potassium chloride. I didn't see any percentages for any of the ingredients, but if it is 94% calcium chloride, that's good. Do you know the percentages for the other two?

I believe Dowflake is all calcium chloride and water, no potassium chloride or magnesium chloride.

OP
OP
dtracy1119

dtracy1119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnesium chloride is OK. I'm less sure of the potassium chloride. I didn't see any percentages for any of the ingredients, but if it is 94% calcium chloride, that's good. Do you know the percentages for the other two?

I believe Dowflake is all calcium chloride and water, no potassium chloride or magnesium chloride.
I can't find any percentages but it says it's similar to peladow.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using it for?

Might be okay for the occasional tweet of calcium. Might not be a good choice for two part. The problem is a potential accumulation of potassium. I mention this because our tanks generally consume calcium at a rate greater than the ratio of calcium to potassium indicated on the bag’s label.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use Prestone driveway heat. I scooped up MSDS (before they got renamed SDS ).

Here it is. Looks kinda like the HD Heat labeled you shared above. This one gives a % of potassium chloride.

f92b4660e8b54a31f4b80b939a9249a9.jpg

OP
OP
dtracy1119

dtracy1119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using it for?

Might be okay for the occasional tweet of calcium. Might not be a good choice for two part. The problem is a potential accumulation of potassium. I mention this because our tanks generally consume calcium at a rate greater than the ratio of calcium to potassium indicated on the bag’s label.
Was planning on using it as the calcium supplement.

Dripdroppin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using prestone driveway heat for a few years now but have thought about switching. No obvious problems so far though. Following along...

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a comment. I've been using Dowflake for CaCl and Mag Flake for MgCl for almost 10 years now with no issues. I also use soda ash from a pool supply store for alk and Epsom Salt for Mg sulfide. I've had an sps tank and a zoa & RFA tank and both were healthy and grew fast enough that I had to do a lot of fraging. I started with 6 RFA's and after 3 rounds of spawning I now have abot 35 of them. So I think it's pretty safe.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 33 33.7%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 19 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back