How Much ESV Calcium Chloride in Randy’s Recipe?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using Randy’s two part since the beginning of time, first starting with Prestone Driveway Heat for the calcium part. At the time I searched for Dowflake, but couldn’t find it locally. The first 50 lb bag lasted maybe 12-15 years, and at that point I could no longer find “Driveway Heat” from Scotwood Industry, but found their replacement of SWI Winter Heat. Both had very similar MSDS’s (SDI’s), and having minimal bound water, mixed 2 cups per gallon, but over the next year or so I was seeing that this “new” calcium chloride” might have elevated bromide. With a friend getting out of the hobby and giving me 4, seven pound containers of BRS calcium, I switched over to this to play it safe. And now, another friend gave me a container of ESV calcium chloride.

So I pull up the MSDS on ESV Calcium Chloride and find that it’s 94-97% Calcium Chloride, telling me this is an anhydrous form, or it anything, minimal bound water. Now looking at Randy’s mixing directions, he’s included Dowflake (77 - 80% calcium chloride) and ESV as needing the same 2 ½ cups per gallon.

Randy’s Recipe 1 for Calcium Chloride
Dissolve 500 grams (about 2 ½ cups) of calcium chloride dihydrate (such as Dowflake 77-80% calcium chloride or ESV calcium chloride; see below for substitutes and sources) in enough water to make 1 gallon of total volume.

Has ESV changed their calcium chloride to the anhydrous form? With the MSDS showing 94 - 97%, I would think the 2 cups per gallon would be a better choice. Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back