Calcium dosing

Jsmith377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Just curious if there is a preferred calcium powder/solution that isn’t so prone to precipitation. I currently am using Kalk+2. The stuff doesn’t stay suspended long in my 1000ml dosing container and mostly settles to the bottom. Which I feel is losing it’s efficacy. I use 0 TDS RODI water to mix it with. Just hoping maybe there is something better out there (aside from a calcium reactor)
Thanks!

image.jpg

ptrahan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Just curious if there is a preferred calcium powder/solution that isn’t so prone to precipitation. I currently am using Kalk+2. The stuff doesn’t stay suspended long in my 1000ml dosing container and mostly settles to the bottom. Which I feel is losing it’s efficacy. I use 0 TDS RODI water to mix it with. Just hoping maybe there is something better out there (aside from a calcium reactor)
Thanks!

image.jpg
DIY works well via Randy Holmes-Farley

Upvote 0

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have is kalkwasser plus some other things mixed in. What you describe is normal with kalkwasser and should not impact the efficacy of the solution. Traditional 2 part additives of any brand will not have this precipitation when done correctly.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk+2 is a ridiculous product. It’s ok to use it, but just recognize it is not a useful source of magnesium. It actually has less magnesium in it (by Brightwell’s own claims) than the food grade material I was using (which is very little), and magnesium cannot dissolve into kalkwasser due to the high pH, precipitating magnesium hydroxide.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jsmith377

Jsmith377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have is kalkwasser plus some other things mixed in. What you describe is normal with kalkwasser and should not impact the efficacy of the solution. Traditional 2 part additives of any brand will not have this precipitation when done correctly.
Thank you!
What are you trying to accomplish? Just bring calcium level up?
maintain calcium levels. I have a mixed reef, just started SPS about 4 months ago but have had some explosive growth in most of it and my LPS. I just wanted to make sure that the precipitate wasn’t causing me to not get the full effect. I prefer to not have to dose multiple things so that’s why I went with the calcium plus trace elements. I also dose alkalininity.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jsmith377

Jsmith377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk+2 is a ridiculous product. It’s ok to use it, but just recognize it is not a useful source of magnesium. It actually has less magnesium in it (by Brightwell’s own claims) than the food grade material I was using (which is very little), and magnesium cannot dissolve into kalkwasser due to the high pH, precipitating magnesium hydroxide.
Thank you! That’s super insightful.

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just use the prepared stuff now.
I was just useless and keeping stuff mixed and was not quite sure if every batch was exactly the same, maybe.

I use the Seachem Fusions 1 and 2 because they contribute the most per volume, lowering the price.

It stays completely in solution always, any no longer does my doser get plugged. Bit more expensive, but has run in my doser 3 years without fail, and without any cleaning….and it’s a Jebao!

Worth every penny.

Upvote 0

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

maintain calcium levels. I have a mixed reef, just started SPS about 4 months ago but have had some explosive growth in most of it and my LPS. I just wanted to make sure that the precipitate wasn’t causing me to not get the full effect. I prefer to not have to dose multiple things so that’s why I went with the calcium plus trace elements. I also dose alkalininity.

Kalk is a balanced solution it has calcium and alkalinity.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back