Calcium Formate and Kalkwasser Precipitating?

Mikedawg8898

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious if Calcium Formate and Calcium Hydroxide can precipitate when dosed at the same time?

My concern is, I cant seem to get my Alkalinity up above 7.4dkh on the high end.

My 16 Gallon SPS reef tank currently gets Fully Saturated Kalkwasser dosed anytime the PH falls below 8.50 which is 99% of the time at night.

My calcium Formate (Tropic Marin Carbo Calcium) is dosed for 15 seconds every 30 minutes to the tank.

Before last week, I was using a BRS 1.1ml doser (actual dose is 1.8ml per minute), running for 10 seconds every 30 minutes and I have increased my dose to 15 seconds every 30 minutes over a week ago and still do not see any sort of rise in my alkalinity.

My Alkalinity swings about 0.8-1.0 Dkh within a 24 hour period so i would like to get the lows of 6.3 DKH up to around 8dkh.

*****That being said, my corals do not seem to be affected by the low alkalinity and I actually have some of the best Polyp Extension and growth ive ever had in the tank. Should i Just leave everything alone and not worry about the numbers?****

OP
OP
M

Mikedawg8898

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. Is there any harm in dosing more than the max recommended amount Of Carbo Calcium by tropic Marin? I am right on the edge of the max recommended dose

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much. Is there any harm in dosing more than the max recommended amount Of Carbo Calcium by tropic Marin? I am right on the edge of the max recommended dose

The recommended max is actually pretty low and is expected to be exceeded in many tanks. Just go slow so you do not get ahead of the conversion of the formate to measurable alk.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back