Calcium high with Hanna 971

PatricioLG

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2026
Messages
12
Reaction score
9
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so frustrated, I am being very careful doing the Hanna Calcium test using the HI971 making sure it is correct and vials wiped properly. I tested 4 days ago it tested 373ppm, previously before quite high. then 3 times tonight getting results 576, 519, then 600, should I just use a different company ? So fed up!!
 
I like Hanna, but for calcium I also find that API is less expensive and reasonable accurate, and a lot simpler to use.

If you’re not happy with Hanna, take a look at API calcium for relief.
 
The Hanna Calcium Checker is one of their least liked Checkers, it's very finicky. I'd suggest trying a Salifert test kit.
 
I agree the Hanna calcium gives folks more apparent issues than any other of their checkers.

I’ve essentially stopped testing calcium (and magnesium). I dose them in proportion to alk dosed using AFR.
 
I like Hanna, but for calcium I also find that API is less expensive and reasonable accurate, and a lot simpler to use.

If you’re not happy with Hanna, take a look at API calcium for relief.
Hmmm that’s interesting because a lot of people say that API are freshwater masquerading as saltwater tests.. you recommend them then ?
 
Hmmm that’s interesting because a lot of people say that API are freshwater masquerading as saltwater tests.. you recommend them then ?
Specifically, I found the calcium test to give reasonable results. Not Hanna precision (in general) but I am using a calcium reactor and rarely measure calcium. I monitor dkH and if it's stable, calcium doesn't move much, if at all for me. I would not recommend other API tests, but when I had all three (API, Salifer, and Hanna) calcium test kitss I didn't find the results to be so far off, one from another for calcium. And I do use Hanna for dKh, and adjust my reactor output with that one parameter because calcium follows alk for me, very nicely.

Rarely measure magnesium either, but that's another test that I don't stress with.
 
I am so frustrated, I am being very careful doing the Hanna Calcium test using the HI971 making sure it is correct and vials wiped properly. I tested 4 days ago it tested 373ppm, previously before quite high. then 3 times tonight getting results 576, 519, then 600, should I just use a different company ? So fed up!!
Hanna Ca checker includes several steps that lower both precision and accuracy. The checkers is fine for po4 and no3 but, but not for Mg,kh and ca. Because these 3 para is always better to do with titration methods. So your frustration is because its not better than this.
Buy just a simple titration test of any kind. Its accurate, fast and cheap.
Especially Ca titration test are very accurate as its easy to exclude Mg in the subsequent edta titration.

Jonas
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new