Calcium issue with extremely high dKH and low pH

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a tank crack and set up a 75 gallon with cycled sediment and live rocks. I have a very low bio load (2 clowns, one 3” Valentino puffer, 2 balloon belly mollies). Relatively little rock for a 75 gallon tank.

Tested my water parameters today to find these values:

Ammonia: <0.15ppm
Nitrate: 2ppm
Phosphate: <0.03ppm
pH: 7.4
dKH: 14
Calcium: undetectable (may be an issue with my test kit)

I use Salifert test kits and haven’t had an issue with them until my calcium didn’t read today. I may take a water sample to an aquarium store to double check the values. Will dosing calcium lower dKH and raise pH?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure you are not reading the kit backwards?

Unless it was at the color endpoint before adding any titrant, the value is not zero.

If you added a full syringe of titrant and it never changed, the value is high, not low. If so, add another syringe until the color change and add the two values together to get the actual value.

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure you are not reading the kit backwards?

Unless it was at the color endpoint before adding any titrant, the value is not zero.

If you added a full syringe of titrant and it never changed, the value is high, not low. If so, add another syringe until the color change and add the two values together to get the actual value.
Lol, I’m sure! The vials were the color endpoint before adding any titrant. It’s supposed to turn blue, but the solution was already blue before adding titrant. I think there is an issue with the kit so I will be going to an LFS to have it tested. Thank you though!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, I’m sure! The vials were the color endpoint before adding any titrant. It’s supposed to turn blue, but the solution was already blue before adding titrant. I think there is an issue with the kit so I will be going to an LFS to have it tested. Thank you though!

OK. :)

I'd suggest reading the kit directions very carefully to be sure you added the correct things in the correct order. The Salifert kit is quite reliable and I cannot see getting that 0 ppm result with any simple aging of the kit.

OP
OP
SimplyVibing

SimplyVibing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. :)

I'd suggest reading the kit directions very carefully to be sure you added the correct things in the correct order. The Salifert kit is quite reliable and I cannot see getting that 0 ppm result with any simple aging of the kit.
Thank you! I’ll take a look at the instructions again, maybe I was out of it when doing my tests lol.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should go from blue to pink after adding 60% in then slowly add 1 to 2drops a swirl till it turns back to blue..? I know you said you followed the directions but its hard to really get a 0 reading

Back