Calcium Issues....How to resolve?

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon,

So I noticed on my Trident readings recently that my alk was dropping more than normal. So I decided to do a little inspection on the dosing lines and sure enough the Alk line had precipitated and clogged up pretty bad.

At this point I have no idea how long the line was clogged but I can assume that I dosed plenty of Calcium into the tank and very little alk. My Calcium at this point was now reading 525 on my trident and my Alk was reading low 7's.

So I sprung into action and turned off the Calcium did a water change using Reef Crystals and upped my Alkalinity component to help raise my alk back slowly. My thinking was that by raising the Alk my Calcium would come down as the Alk got higher.

So now after all this my Calcium is holding steady at 520 and my Alk is at 8.7dKH.

How can I get my Calcium down back into the mid 400s while not affecting my Alk level too much??

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium at 525 ppm is fine and no need for a water change. It is not causing any problem with alkalinity.

if you want it lower, just keep the calcium doser turned off for a while.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back