Calcium, KH, Phosphates and Nitrates WAY HIGH

Quincy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water sample 2 weeks ago at LFS was 'all good.' No #s, just said it was all good. I'm really new to this so, please, treat me like I'm 2! Got API Reef Master Test Kit today and here are my numbers:
Calcium 540 ppm
KH 13 (or 232dKH)
Phosphates 2
Nitrates 160
Had major Dino issue so we haven't done water changes with new water for 3 weeks, just use same water, filtered with Micron sock (10).
Only thing we are adding now is MacroBac7 to help with Dino. Mostly under control, at this second.
I have frogspawn, hammer (currently 90% dead/all skeleton), sebae anem, cleaner crew, brittle star, 4 fish, a couple polyps and hard coral.
ANY help would be appreciated as I don't know where to begin! 3 months up in my house, BIL had it for 10 years or so. So, kinda new/kinda not.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes best way to get your numbers down.

do you have a ato?
I wouldn’t worry about your calcium so much
something I’ve learned the hard way, api is not a great test kit, it kinda sucks. Maybe look into new test kits nyos, Red Sea, Hanna checkers, salifret (s

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes best way to get your numbers down.

Not necessarily for phosphate. Even a 100% change may not bring it down that much, since the majority may be temporarily bound to rock and sand.

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off do you have corals in the tank? Second like above try and get a good test set. Nyos, redsea, or hannah.

I would verify the numbers with either another lfs or different test .

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your salinity? How are you measuring it? Are you topping off with salt water or fresh rodi?

OP
OP
Quincy

Quincy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your salinity? How are you measuring it? Are you topping off with salt water or fresh rodi?
It is 1.025. I'm topping off with fresh RO/DI. I've got a thing you put water in and the pendulum moves to tell the salinity and it is right on 1.025.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 1.025. I'm topping off with fresh RO/DI. I've got a thing you put water in and the pendulum moves to tell the salinity and it is right on 1.025.
Wondering if it would be best to take another sample to your lfs and tell them you want actual numbers, including salinity. Swing arm hydrometers can be accurate, but have a reputation for a reason. Maybe your lfs could check it with a refractometer. im thinking maybe high salinity might be causing the high calcium and alk.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back