Calcium limit

  • Thread starter Thread starter rage1199
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rage1199

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 17, 2013
Messages
386
Reaction score
119
Location
Miami
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How high can I raise my calcium in my SPS only tank to kill off pest polyp soft corals. They are brown stringy and have xania like polyp and it is out of control. I know that if my calcium is high enough they begin to regress. How high is that?
 
Anthelia? That stuff sucks, a friend of mine would love a way to get rid of these.
 
I bought a small frag one time "because the wife love the pulsing" . Used to have to cut it back once a week . I even got to the point I'd take the rock out and burn it with a lighter and it would still grow back!!! GOOD LUCK. :D
 
Not sure how high to kill off xenia. I've had my tank at 480 calcium for a few weeks by accident and it didn't kill mine. It didn't seem to affect anything. Although 480 is not that bad I suppose. I found injecting the pests with vinigar worked. You need to be persistent with it. But I haven't seen any for a while.
 
I've never heard of excess calcium being used to kill off, well, anything, but I know that many people have their calcium well into the 500's (high 500's) without adverse effects. Therefore I assume you'd need to be north of there.
 
I have never heard of t his working at all. Further more, if you run a ULNS I would not even go there. It will slow SPS growth and who knows what other problems you may run into.......
 
Only thing I have seen help push back pest corals like anthelia and mushrooms is high flow where they are growing.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 21.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new